USB 3.0 intermittently badly/not working on new laptop

cynapse

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Hello,

(I hope I put this in the right category - apologies if not; happy to repost in better place if you can let me know where that is)

I just acquired a Toshiba Portege R835-P88 laptop a week ago, which includes a USB 3.0 port (and two USB 2.0s). I have had some intermittent trouble with the USB 3.0: sometimes it works OK (e.g., with a mouse), sometimes it somewhat works (e.g., plugged in an external USB 2.0 hard drive and it found folders, but some were incorrectly showing as empty - whereas the drive worked fine on the USB 2.0 ports), and sometimes it does not recognize anything plugged into it (mouse external or hard drive). I did some searching for similar problems but did not find anything.

Please can you suggest some step by step things I could try to more precisely diagnose the problem and try to fix it? I am not hugely proficient, so would be grateful if you can spell out key info I will need to follow the steps. Let me know if you need more info.

PS: Key info on my laptop model is here in case it helps:
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/portege/R830/R835-P88/

rpebble

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Hi there, I'm having a similar issue--the USB 3 port has power, and will give me an installation notification when I plug new things into it, but nothing ever shows up. I already tried reinstalling the USB drivers, to no avail.

rpebble

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Just kidding, I think I've got it working by reinstalling the USB 3 driver, from here: http://goo.gl/ETOrW. It's the file dated 04-26-2011. Hopefully that does it for me.

cynapse

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Hello rpebble. That sounds promising, thanks for sharing.

I just reinstalled it and (after 5 mins of testing) so far so good - but of course problem was intermittent, so will keep fingers crossed and report back if problem persists.

Thanks again!

mklitt

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I am going to try this. I got my TOSHIBA Portege R835-P88 yesterday and it does not know when I use the USB 3 port for the mouse interface. I found this discussion searching on my problem.