Need help finding good laptop for gaming, djing & school

dobosmoez

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hey guys,

so i'm looking to buy a laptop (PC) this summer that I can use for djing, university in year and a half, and games. I have an 700$ limit and am pretty noobish when it comes to computer specs. I would like to play games like Diablo 3 and Dota 2 when they come out so i'm expecting that the laptop will need a decent graphics card, but I would also like a decently fast processor (atm on my desktop I have quad-core and I wouldn't mind the same). I DJ with Traktor Pro 2 which isnt too much of a burden on my desktop atm. Lastly It would be great if i could get it locally i.e. futureshop, bestbuy

I believe these are my current desktops specs : http://imgur.com/Bnxvt

dobosmoez

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
1. What is your budget?
Up to 700$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not totally sure

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?
Relatively decent

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes Diablo 3, Dota 2. Med-High

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
DJing with Traktor pro 2, surfing web, facebook twitter, word excel, etc

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB is fine

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm most drawn toward bestbuy/future shop

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5years not sure :s

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Dvd rom?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
uh no discrimination unless its really bad

13. What country do you live in?
canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
You can try out the HP dv6z Quad laptop currently at hp.com. Specs are listed below.

CPU: AMD Quad Core A8-3550MX 2.7GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 7690M 1GB video card
HDD: 640GB 5400 RPM hard drive
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Size: 15.6 Inch 1366 x 768 resolution

Cost = 694.99 before shipping

You can customize to a lower CPU for a lower price. The current configuration is perfect for your needs, and will play games at it's native resolution on medium settings.

Go to HP's website and check out the dv6z laptop. Not a bad machine for the price.

dobosmoez

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
@vrumor it's not a high tech gaming laptop i'm really after i just want to be able to play those games on med quality
@animeman59 will that laptop be able to handle Dota 2 & Diablo 3 at Med Graphics?

Hi :)

The problem is NOT when..its the price for gaming...no better in summer than now...you NEED to increase your budget or game on LOW...

All the best Brett :)