Ibm Thinkpad 760el laptop keyboard not working plus error codes 173/163 shows up

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Ok, I pick up this ibm thinkpad 760el and when I turn it on, I see that ram ok, then it shows error 163, then 173 then
I get a black screen but on the upper left corner I get a
little computer icon and a padlock and a blinking cursor

I try to type in anything hit enter but nothing happens, I turn it off and hold F1 then turn it back up to get to bios and it does not go into the bios right back to the same thing I just mention.

I try all of the keys on the keyboard but nothing happens, so do I have a keyboard card bad? or just the keyboard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thnx in advanced

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Hello WR2

ok, I do not have usb on the laptop this is the 760el only floopy and ps/2 port which I did try a external keyboard but that did not work either I saw the lights come on and off on the external keyboard but that was it. As far as the F1 to get into bios nothing seems to happen, so that is what let me to believe that something is wrong either the keyboard card or the keyboard itself.

also I open the keyboard took the screws of the bottom and pry open the keyboard to reveal the speakers and the batteries. ok the battery on the left a round lithum battery I unplug it and put it on the volt meter and I get 3v so I plug it back in now the other battery on the right it has a green shrink wrap and I unplug it but I notice this blue stuff over the connector and on the keyboard card, so I put that in the volt meter and no voltage at all. so the battery is dead so maybe this battery cause something and now I need to replace this battery and possible the keyboard card, but I have to wait to find the parts..

I think I am in the right direction but if I am wrong please let me know

thanks

Ad4y

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

I just hold the F2 key turn the computer on and it comes up ram ok, 163 173 and goes to the black screen on the top left a small computer icon and a pad lock and a blinking cursor, so nothing happened at all.

the keyboard still not working

ad4y

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Hello Vrumor

I do have a different a faster laptop

but I need this ibm because its the old legacy one's and I program radios and they need that slower processor, so i have to fix this one and maybe the energizer bunny will bring it back to life, its a matter of get it going and going again...

Ad4y

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

thanks for the help wr2

I will keep searching and see what happens...

ad4y

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

ok, so I need to replace the keyboard card, probably the keyboard is good, that is why the keyboard won't work because the keyboard card on one side is bad the other side is good...

So, I have to find some cheap keyboard that comes with the keyboard card that works and I should be able to get this thing going..

thanks Vrumor

Ad4y

ad4y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Hello, you are correct, I did replace the keyboard and the lock went away after I remove the pop password then the keyboard work, but now yet another problem. when I try to get into the bios then the lock comes back, I can get in but some features of the bios are lock and without that bios aka supervisor password can't do anything.

I can't update the bios because it has it on lock down and anything you put on the a: floppy except a thinkpad utility disk would run, but there is no way to drop to dos there.

So, I have to get a epprom reader in order to get the supervisor password that is in there so that I can finnaly get to update it and more.

I even asked the person I bought from on ebay to see if she had the supervisor pass but she did not have it..

Oh, well I will get it going eventualy when I can find a epprom reader or replace the system board...

Thanks for the reply

ad4y

bobbyc

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013