Dell 1101 notebook password locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutchybutch

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,
I have got a Dell Inspiron 1101 notepad that is password protected on start up, in safe mode, in set up - everywhere! There is just no getting in. Girl who's notepad it is cannot remember even closly what it might be! How can I get into BIOS or Safe Mode? Not sure how to dismantle a notepad to get to BIOS battery - even that would help. Cheers

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
It is against forum rules for anyone to assist in the process unlocking a laptop or any device as we cannot prove you are the actual owner of the device. Use the above poster's link it is all we can do for you here.

hutchybutch

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
It's not stolen. It belongs to a 14 year old. Her mum bought it her. It's fairly new, probably still under warranty. All the stickers are still on it. I've reset so many passwords on desktops back in the day. She was put intouch with me via someone who's PC I bought back to life that was virus riddled and needed up grading but that was like I say 'in the day'. Heart's not in fixing or building them anymore (not for years), eyes and health aren't what they used to be. Will return it to her in the morning and tell her to call Dell (who I am told though are unfortunately NOT very helpful). Hate letting folk down... Thanks anyway ;-)

These days the password data is stored in non-volatile storage.
The old trick of taking the battery out so a system would 'forget' it had a password or or using a jumper pin on the motherboard hasn't worked for a while now.

What Dell will do is use the Service Tag number to calculate & create a valid password unique for that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.