Toshiba a200 boots on battery power only.

66Lis

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hello,
I have a Toshiba a200 which will no longer start up on AC power. I can start it up on battery power alone but as soon as I connect the AC power, the system freezes.
Anybody have an ideas, or experienced this?

fortuna

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
sounds strange. Are you able to charge the battery with the same AC-adapter when the computer is off?
I think you'd better try another charger and see what happens.. Hopefully, nothing will happen and your computer will run smoothly with another charger..

Cheers!

66Lis

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
It will charge the battery no problems. I have tried that charger in other computers & working fine. Have also tried other chargers in that computer but the same thing happens.
I was able to plug the power in when battery power <5% & it wouldn't freeze but now it just freezes as soon as power is connected.
I think it has to be an internal power/board issue but was hoping for an easier fix!

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
What happens if you
- switch the computer off
- take out the battery
- plug in the charger
- attempt to start the computer.

Does the initial flash screen appear on the display? Can you go into BIOS by pressing the key indicated on the flash screen? If you let it boot, does it show the Windows logo? Can you go into Safe Mode (press F8)?

gramani

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

I have a similar situation. Dont know answer. If started on battery alone, it starts after a minute. If started with direct power connected, no sign of starting at all even after 10 mts. Power is charging battery correctly. Battery helps starting computer after a random of 1 or 2 mts of power switch on. If direct power connected while on, it freezes. Help will be appreciated.