PC laptop that can compete with macbook pro?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
this is for graphic design/web design/*some* 3D modeling

im hoping someone has some experience with a good windows based laptop line they could recommend.
Ive always built my own desktops for this sort of work but might need to be a bit more mobile later this year. My good friend has always used macbook pros and recently got a new one for a price tag of something like 2400$ Id love to be below that, but mostly i just prefer windows.

so i know there are plenty of laptops out there that i can get similar specs on as far as processing power but I am having a bit more trouble looking for two primary things

- Thin form factor (comparable to Macbook pro)
- high quality screen that is not glossy (no more than 15"ish)

I was looking at dell XPS Z-series but they seemed to all have the glossy screen and i read some reviews about the heat they put off, maybe someone can confirm or deny from their own experience.

You might want to consider the 2nd generation Samsung Series 9 ultrabooks available with 13" and 15" displays.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/redesigned-samsung-series-9-laptop-announced/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/09/15-inch-samsung-series-9-review-2012/

dec_67

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Actually if you are more on to Graphics and development. Go to IBM Thinkpad w530. That suites on your needs. You might need a mobile workstations seems Macbook pro is a mobile workstation. Dell xps is not a mobile workstation, it's a ultrabook laptop that competes Macbook air. If you are a Dell fanatic, i suggest you go to Dell precision seems that's a mobile workstation from Dell. But most Americans used Thinkpad because it has a high standard and the quality is good. It also a certified partner from US Marine . But Thinkpad w530 are little bit heavy then Macbook pro. They are some might look like MacBook pro over there but they are not a mobile workstation. It's just a copycat but has no good in quality.