Best laptop for me? Graphic design/mid-level gaming.

platypus12

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey! I'm looking to buy a new laptop, as my old one, the one I am typing on, is... shall we say a bit on the erratic side? It's around four years old and this laptop's time has come. The screen is currently flickering and there's a huge black mark in the left top corner... you get the picture! xD

My current laptop.

I'm looking for something portable, with good screen resolution. I'll be using this mostly for graphic design, so photoshop must run smoothly, but also for some casual or not-so-casual gaming: It would be great if it could run less demanding games and possibly slightly more up-there ones like The Sims 3 or Dragon Age Origins?

I'm currently eyeing this laptop from Best Buy:
HP Pavilion

Wondering if you think that'd be a good idea for what I want. It also mentions that if you have a CORE you can have a better processor? I'm pretty technologically illiterate, not gonna lie, so if you could tell me how one could go about getting said CORE/how much it would cost me, that would be awesome.

So! Tell me what you think, please. :) Much appreciated!

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
The second generation core I series of processors is intels current processor line. they come in 3 basic varieties (some different models of each are available) The I3 is for basic use. The I5 is a workhorse processor and the I7 is the performance processor. Some i7s are dual core processors (2 cpus in 1 socket) and some are quad core (4 cpus in 1 socket) this is even in laptops.
For someone running photoshop I would suggest something with at least an I5, if not a quad core I7. also I would suggest something with a dedicated video card, these are usually thought of as for gaming, but also improve rendering computations. I would suggest at least a 525m, if not higher model 540, 555, 560, 580 (nvidia)
hope that helps.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
HP Pavilion g6s customizable Notebook PC

B4J78AV

charcoal grey
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
1GB Radeon(TM) HD 7450M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
No additional security software
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 4.25 hours of battery life +++
15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Webcam and Microphone
802.11b/g/n WLAN
Standard Keyboard
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Estimated ship date: April 17, 2012

This ships free Free standard shipping on this item

The HP Home & Home Office Store will accept returns or exchanges for this product up to 21 days after delivery
$730

http://www.dealigg.com/story-HP-Pavilion-g6s-series