Laptop LCD low brightness

netspiderz

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Hello all. I have an HP Compaq NC6220 with an issue that I never run into before.

The laptop brigtness is really low, barely visibile. When attached to an external LCD it works perfectly.
At first I though it was the LCD monitor going bad, so I replaced the LCD but the problem did not solve. With the new LCD the brigntenss is always low. I tried to replace the inverter and it did not solve the problem. I tried both, Windows XP and Linux, but the problem is the same. As soon as I boot the laptop and enter the BIOS the brigtness is always low as well. The BIOS doesn't seem to have anything to adjust it. When I am within Windows XP, all the Function keys works, but when I click the brightness keys nothing changes, it doesn't increase nor decrease.

What else could it be?

Thanks in advance.

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
there is a little pin somewhere around your laptop keyboard that will go in when the screen is shut (to save power) and it should spring back to the top when the laptop is open. have you checked that?
also go into your power management profiles under windows and tinker around with settings, your laptop might be in a low power consumption power setting

netspiderz

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

I tried the little pin and everytime I push it, it lowers the brightness even more. Could it be the integrated video card? Maybe replacing the motherboard would be the only option...

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company...

It IS the Inverter or Screen..it cannot be the chip if external graphics are fine...

Soooo when you say you changed the screen ... was it for EXACTLY the same model (screen number on back of screen MUST be precisely the same)

Inverter ..it was NEW ??

All the best Brett :)