TimelineX 4820TG Random Shutdowns

network24

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I purchased the TimelineX 4820TG probably about 2 years ago and up until now I have really had no complaints. However in the past week or so the laptop would just randomly shut itself off. This would occur whenever I had it plugged in and the battery was not in it because I usually just use it at home. Something weird about this problem is that it would occur when I was doing basic tasks like web browsing etc, so I dont think overheating is the issue but im not certain of anything. After having it shutdown on me a few times I just decided to put the battery in and leave the laptop plugged in because I like to play games pretty regularly and it has not shut off on me once since. What could be the cause of these random shutdowns?

network24

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

Hmmmm yea I was kind of wondering about that too. How would I be able to find out if there was a failure in power cord or not?

fortuna

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I wouldn't rush and plug in the battery all the time. keeping the battery in all the time will harm it cause it will catch heat and heat is one of the biggest battery killers.

Try to see if your charger constantly charges your battery and that there are no breaks in which the battery comes into action although the adapter is plugged. You notice those breaks, it means your adapter is not working properly - replace it.

If that's not the case, i would suggest going to the lab with the laptop in order for them to check all the electric connections over there..

Cheers

network24

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

I did notice that there were two breaks when the charger would cut out and the battery would take over yesterday. I'll keep the battery in and charging again another day and see what happens. Then I'll take the battery out and leave the charger in to see if it shuts off again.