Acer Aspire 5552G - 7893 lockup

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hello,
I have a new Acer Aspire 5552G that locks up on a random basis. It just freezes up for 5 seconds to 1 minute where nothing works. It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing that causes this lockup. I have tried restoring the laptop to factory settings (a per instructions fron Acer support) and it still freezes up on a random basis.

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks Brett.

The laptop was shipped yesterday to Acer repair after Acer support decided that after 4 calls from me and 2 factory reloads that the problem 'might' be a hardware problem. :sarcastic: Acer support needs some tweaking. Funny how they get annoyed when I tell them I can't understand them. :ange: :eek:

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Well, I got the laptop back from Acer today. The repair invoice said that they replaced the motherboard. Initially everything looked good on boot up. However, after about 20 minutes of surfing on the net the laptop froze up again. Now it freezes up at boot up about every second time and I have to shut it down manually by holding the power button. I will contact Acer today. My question is, seeing that it is still under warranty do I have to pay for shipping the second time I send it into Acer? Getting very frustrated!!

Hi :)

I would BET they didnt actually change the motherboard.....tell them you put a secret mark on the mobo and you got the same one back and DEMAND a NEW LAPPY WITH FREE CARRIAGE BOTH WAYS....

And DO put a secret mark on the mobo....

All the best Brett :)

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Got the laptop back an hour ago. Guess what??!! It locked up at the "Welcome to Windows" screen!! The repair sheet stated that Acer replaced the hard drive and RAM. Just got off the phone with tier 2 support in Texas and they are getting me to reload the computer. Will keep you posted!!

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Well the laptop goes back tomorrow to Acer repair.....the evaluation team this time. Still locking up....maybe more now and the fonts are slightly out of focus and everything looks slightly s t r e c h e d across the screen. How do I convince Acer to replace the laptop or give me my money back?? None of the Acer techs seem to have any authority to initiate this.

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Received the laptop back from Acer 'evaluation' department. According to the repair sheet they replaced the motherboard (again), cpu, hard drive and upgraded the ram from 6 GB to 8 GB. Now I have a laptop that outperforms my desktop....finally!! No issues at all...so far. You would think they would have cut their losses a long time ago and replaced the whole laptop considering the costs of labour, components and shipping that they incurred with this laptop. Go figure!?!? I am a happy camper now and will keep this forum posted as to any furter issues.

rmoub

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Hi Brett;

It's not a new laptop. I put a 'secret' mark on the case and the MB before sending it back like you suggested. The MB is new but the case and display screen are the original. ;)

Phreakwars

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
The problem is more then likely, the hard drive. I have this same unit, same problem. Even sent it back for repair, they changed the hard drive, still had the same problem. Did some research, discovered the Western Digital drives that Acer ship with this unit are crap. Swapped it out for an ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-256GM-C SSD drive, problem solved. WEI score is now 7.9, Laptop is fast as hell, NEVER freezes.