Cheap laptop HD video editing capable integrated or descrete GPU?

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi I want to upgrade my laptop to a cheap second generation i7 so I can hopefully do some HD editing on the move. I have a six core phenom at home for larger project (still needs more ram!(8GB))...

The question is this:
Can I get away with the new integrated graphics on the seconds generation i7 processors?
OR;
Do I NEED to have a discrete dedicated GPU for HD?

Its not the end of the world as I am limited by my budget and I don't mind keeping the intensive editing for my home desktop, I really just want a upgraded laptop, but with these new processors and prices falling I thought I might be able to get something capable of both intensive games, process's and HD editing for around £500-600?

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
One thing that is confusing for me is the discrete graphics and integrated graphics and how they are shared by the system. What do I need to watch out for to make sure they are managed well enough, isnt there a driver or feature I have to make sure is intalled for them to work well together?

nekronos

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
You may want to consider waiting a month, there is a new amd trinity and intel ivy bridge cpus coming out with significantly boosted performance.
----

edit: I realized newegg only ships to the U.S.,

here's the same laptop you listed, but cheaper on amazon for 650 pounds:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Laptop-DVDSMDL-Windows-Premium/dp/B0076IDWWC/ref=sr_1_15?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1332884905&sr=1-15

also consider this for the same price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-L755-1J2-i7-2670QM-Bluetooth/dp/B006WLMP5O/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1332884905&sr=1-7

the toshiba has a slightly superior dedicated graphic card

additional cheaper options with the A series processor:

£505
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Quad-Core-Processor-A8-3500M-Windows/dp/B005G41GYY/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1332885990&sr=1-6

£455
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Quad-Core-Processor-A6-3400M-Windows/dp/B005G41GEY/ref=sr_1_108?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1332886129&sr=1-108

you may want to ignore the other suggestions below lol

---

In terms of bang for your buck, look into amd's a8 or a6 series over the i5/i7 as they have much better integrated graphic capability.

As for integrated graphics being shared by the system... going off a personal basis it manages itself, no worries.

Whether or not you need dedicated graphics for HD editing, that question may be better suited in the graphics forum. My gut is saying you probably don't if you went with an AMD A8.

At your price range though, you shouldn't have to settle for integrated graphics.

----

Since you have a good budget, try these, both under 600 pounds I believe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246324

much better all around and cheaper.

Here's a comparable asus you linked except this is cheaper and more powerful.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230133

the dedicated cards GT 555 > GT540 = GT 630 > GT 610

at your price range you should be expecting at least a GT540 (or ati equivalent) or better

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Then how on earth have I purchased from them when I don't live in the U.S.? LOL
In actuality, newegg ships to Canada and China as well. (I guess they like the letter C eh?) :sol:

I totally agree. The A-series doesn't need a discrete GPU because the HD 6620G is more powerful than many discrete GPUs even though many A8-based laptops still have them. The only question that needs to be addressed is CPU power. The A8's CPU is put completely to shame by the i5 and the i7 is in a world of its own in that regard. If your video editing program uses the GPU as well as the CPU this may not be that big of an issue but I still think that the CPU power of the i5 or i7 would be of significant value to you. Personally, I love the A8 and I have an A8-based laptop (without the extra discrete GPU) and I really enjoy it. Just like you though, I have a monster desktop so my laptop needs aren't as large as some but they're also definitely not smaller than most. :sol:

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Not sure, but with a SB CPU and a discrete GPU (ie 540m) there may be a couple of advantages. ( #1 a given but not sure about #2)
1) Will switch between using the iGPU and dGPU when switching between 2D and 3D applications. Nvidia has better controll of this than AMD.
2) If simular to using the SB CPU and a Z68 MB (Desktop), then quick sync and Lucid Software can be used to significantly improve video encoding.

i7 would be better than i5 (2cores/4threads vs 4 cores/4threads).
Love my Samsung RF711, 8 Gigs ram (came with 4), Two HDD bays, Blue-ray Drive, and 17 " Was on sale for $750 ( about 500 quid), But would probably be closer to 750 pounds due to the greater taxes in England. Only neg was it was an i5-2410m with a 540m dGPU

Added> Might consider using the SSD in liew of the HDD for OS + Programs and moving the HDD for storage over to the DVD drive.
One of my criteria for laptops is TWO HDD bays.

nekronos

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Avro, I didn't realize they shipped internationally, I had searched newegg's faq before making that comment:

"Does Newegg.com ship internationally?

Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico."

I guess they need to update that :p

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Hey dude thats so cheap but I would have to pay tax on that wouldnt I? :-(

Two hard drive bays is just what I need. Currently I am looking at the HP Elitebooks because of 16gb max ram and good durability, but they are about £1000!!

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah I was going to do this to keep the price down, and just fit my own ssd in the optical bay.

disease8

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I am not sure if the A8 will suffice looking into it the i5 is much more powerful with cpu the A8 only wins with graphics and as HD video is more cpu intensive than graphics (I think so?) I might stick with i5 or i7. Do you think i5 would be powerful enough?
I guess they are still pretty powerful.