9.5 mm optical drive in 12.5 mm bay?

Kurt_07

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I'm needing to replace my optical drive on my Lenovo Y510. Will a 9.5mm ultraslim drive fit in a 12.5mm bay? I know it will fit, just not if it will stay in, or if it will need an adapter of some sort to keep it from rattling around. Thanks.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
maybe ???

i found this ""ThinkPad T510

Confirmed NVIDIA Quadro NVS3100M 512MB discrete graphics; do not appear to be switchable
Confirmed 12.7mm Ultrabay Enhanced, compatible with Ultrabay Slim (9.5mm) devices
Main drive bay is SATA 3.0Gbps, Ultrabay is SATA 1.5Gbps

at:

http://www.thinkpads.com/2010/01/08/full-specs-details-on-new-thinkpad-t410-t510-w510-t410s-x100e/

lenovo tech support would be the place to start

Kurt_07

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

I called Lenovo support and talked with someone who seemed to be an entry level helper. I was told the part was no longer available (the optical drive) and there wasn't any info about a replacement. It is actually an IdeaPad Y510 which is somewhat different from ThinkPad series. The Ultrabay has gone through several incarnations, but currently I believe it is SATA and 9.5mm. My optical drive bay is definitely 12.5mm. Or I guess the bay is 12.7mm, the drive itself is approximately 12.5 mm thick. It looks to be pretty standard size and screw hole placement. The original one was a Hitachi-LG Data Storage GSA-T20N. I found a refurbished GSA-T40L, which appears to be pretty similar but also has LightScribe, which the old drive did not have. I never actually burned any DVDs on the old drive, so probably won't need it, but it was only $26 so thought I'd give it a try. If it doesn't work, I may just add a second hdd with an adapter. Assuming I can find an IDE/12.7mm adapter. They seem to be rare now too.

megaspeed

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Hey Kurt, I had the same issue as I bought a lenovo 9.5 slim blu-ray burner for my w530. I had no luck in switching bezel as tab spacing was different (thought it would be easy). Since the slim unit did have the correct bevel and it sits on the bottom of the bay, all I did was cut a piece of lexan (very precicely) to match the sides and back of drive. I left the front extend over the leading edge of tray and flush with case. Secured it to the drive with strips of packing tape and plugged it in. It looks like it came with it and works like a charm.. Hope this is of help to you.
megaspeed4u