Keyboard works on startup then stops responding

brocar3

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I have a Dell 1520 laptop. The touchpad works on startup then stops responding.

Can someone help me with this.

Thank you,

Carol

brocar3

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Oh, I fogot to mention the keyboard does the same. Stops working after startup.

Thank you

In Device manager mouse is ok, but keyboard has yellow exclamation point.

Thank you

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Can you view the keyboard's status in device manager to determine the cause of the exclamation point? This should be in the properties. There should an error message (code xx) there that would be helpful in determining the cause of the issue.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
the touch pad and keyboard drivers are seperate

download the keyboard drivers

and what kelthic said, what does it say in properties ? double click on it or right click on it, go to properties

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

there it is, download the keyboard drivers and you're all set

you might be able to just uninstall the keyboard using the device manager, and then reboot, and it would probably just reinstall itself, however, go ahead and make sure you have the latest drivers anyways, there could be bug fixes in them that might help prevent this in the future

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
First of all, is this a vostro 1520 or inspiron 1520. I may have linked you the wrong touchpad driver up above. i didn't realize there were 2 models with the 1520 in the name.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Honestly, this is a standard keyboard and the windows driver should have worked. I'm assuming you used driver sweeper? If that didn't work, i'm starting to wonder whether your keyboard is just plain shot. They do sell replacement keyboards for your laptop. another option you can try is to system restore to a point before the problem started.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
kelthic is correct, that driver is standard within windows, but we still dont know which model she is on.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

let dell detect your tag number (model), go to the downloads/drivers section, MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT OPERATING SYSTEM, and then go to the input section. if there is no keyboard driver, and only a touch pad driver, then they are bundled together. some do it that way, some dont.

download the touchpad driver. install.

if that doesnt work, then try system restore. if that doesnt work, then you have a hardware problem and need to take in or sent in for service.

hope that works !!!