Hp pavillion dv9700 no dvd

prb1eagle

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
While installing Visual Studio 2010 on my HP dv9700 the DVD drive disappeared, interrupting the installation. I subsequently installed VS using a memory stick as the storage device but still cannot get the DVD to appear. Following threads about registry entries made no difference. When I install a blank hard drive the DVD reappears, but when I get to the point where I install VS it disappears again.
I have reverted back to the original Vista OS and tried Windows 7 Ultimate, with no success.
Does anyone have any clues?

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
what does the device manager show for your dvd ? many times when the optical device is listed in DV as "windows could not load drivers for this device" , then most times it is the filtering issue in the registry, and simply removing or changing the values for those entries solves the problem.

those entries appear during the installation of certain programs, and VS is one of those. however, it SHOULD not happen during an install, because usually a reboot is required for those registry entries to take effect.

so maybe your issue is not that. it could be the drive itself. have you thought of updating the firmware for that drive ? if you have tried multiple OS's then its either and issue with VS and the registry or the drive itself.

prb1eagle

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
The device manager does not show the CD or DVD and there are no entries on "Other" devices. When I scan for a new device nothing appears. The device does not show anywhere. Also, I bought a replacement DVD/CD-ROM and it still does not appear when installed, so I gather it is not the device.
I does reappears when there is no bootable disk, (meaning using a blank (formatted) hard drive) which allows me to use the Optical drive to install all software until I get to install VS.
I suspected something with a registry entry, but there are no filters as some threads suggest to adjust.
The odd thing about losing the DVD during an installation is that it happened twice, once on my 240GB drive and again on my new 320GB drive. It happens using Vista and Windows 7. HP says it does not have a driver for Windows 7, so I restore the original 240GB drive to Vista. Again the DVD worked until I installed VS. Even if I uninstall VS it does not come back.
So what ever it is VS causes it, but is not corrected on an uninstall.
I'm open to ideas. It may be drivers or the registry.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

if it were the registry filtering issue, it still should show up in the device manager.

the dev mgr would just show it as disabled. so if you are absoulutely sure there is no entry in the dev mgr, then its something else.

when you install vista, are installing it with SP1 (service pack 1) or SP2, or neither ?

btw, i am on a dv9000 series hp right now also. HP doesnt support win 7 on most dv9s, and it got some pretty bad results on mine when i tried. the drivers from the device manufactorers do not support it either.

im back to vista 64, and no problems. this machine is 7 years old.

make sure when you install vista, get all the updates from microsoft, including SP2 and try again