Laptop speakers popping

BuckheadTech

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I have a sony vaio I'm working on with a weird problem. When the computer is on, there is a popping noise like a metronome coming from the right speaker. I took it apart so that the only things connected are the cpu one stick of ram and the speakers and the problem is still happened. I even hooked up speakers from other laptops and they have the same noise. I guess the motherboard is bad somehow but my question is what is wrong with it? Is this a capacitor or something? Any insight would be appreciated.

Solution
Could be, wondering if he used an electrostatic wrist strap while making the repairs. Perhaps some electrostatic disharge may have messed with the EEPROM. I think your right with the BIOS. The BIOS would have the most basic driver software for the audio. But I think the CMOS would have a more specific driver for your audio (I bet your chip is a Realtek). Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

BuckheadTech

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
The problem is still happening with no hard drive in the machine. The problem starts somewhere in bios. The person I am fixing the computer for tried to replace the LCD by himself and this problem started after. Could he have fried something on the board with his fumbling?

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Could be, wondering if he used an electrostatic wrist strap while making the repairs. Perhaps some electrostatic disharge may have messed with the EEPROM. I think your right with the BIOS. The BIOS would have the most basic driver software for the audio. But I think the CMOS would have a more specific driver for your audio (I bet your chip is a Realtek). Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Solution

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Depending on your motherboard, it could be a cell battery or a flash ROM chip. If it's the battery all you have to do is remove it for about one minute. Make sure the computer is off and the power supply cable is physically removed from the power supply. Then after about one minute, just put the battery back in, add the power cord and turn on the computer. Also, there is a small chance you may even need to replace the battery (with the same type, I think it's an RC2032 1.5Volt, but don't quote me on this).

maxxforce

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Buck. What did you do to fix this problem? I just had the same thing happen to me after replacing and LCD screen in Sony Vaio. Unplugging the speaker connection on the mobo silences the problem obviously, but I cannot find the reason why it's clicking like a metronome. There is no way to change barely anything in the BIOS other than the time and boot order. Were you able to fix the issue. Please reply.

BuckheadTech

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
We ended up figuring out that something on the MB was damaged and needed to be replaced. It made the same noise with new speakers and everything. They guy didn't want to pay for a new motherboard so I disconnected the speakers and reassembled his machine. No sound was better than the constant popping. Sorry if that is not very helpful.