Free gateway recovery disk download

Status
Not open for further replies.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
please be more specific. What is your computer model?

in general if you are running windows 7 or vista that came on it there should be an option to burm recovery disks. If you just need to do a recovery you should be able to do it from the recovery partition if it has one by pressing a button when you boot up.

If it did not come with disks or a partition, you can't create them, or you lost them you will have to contact gateway to get recovery disks for your model.

Hello mitcheal;

The 'free gateway recovery disk' would be the one you made from your computer when you first got it. That's what the Gateway manual recommended.
There is a hidden partition on the hard disk where that is located.
Do you still have the original hard disk?

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

Something that almost all new computer owners never do and get desperate when the Windows or hard drive fails.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Those comments are not at all helpful to the user. Most also have an option to make the recovery disks at any time that the o/s works with an included software program that is in the Start/programs menu.

ethan_hines

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Those comments are not at all helpful to the user. Most also have an option to make the recovery disks at any time that the o/s works with an included software program that is in the Start/programs menu.

I agree with danny2000 and would add it is bad business practice to throw the recovery on a partition and NOT provide actual backup dvds with the purchase. Shame on Gateway!

Hi :)

Almost ALL manufacturers have done this for years...no discs UNLESS YOU create them... it saves THEM money...

All the best Brett :)

Mary S

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015

Mary S

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
This is my problem... I was bought the laptop for my bday and was going to stop on way home for disc to make my start up in the mean time while I was gone, it was turned on and updates were being done. When I got home and started up the laptop it had a black screen I didnt have a chance to make the start up disc.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
you can also get a copy of whatever windows version was installed and install a fresh copy of windows that way using the key from the sticker. it does not have to be the recovery disk used. you will have to install drivers and such yourself but windows update is pretty good now of getting most of them for you.

the added benefit is that all the bloatware that came on the laptop will not be put back and you'll have a plane vanilla windows installation for you to do with what you want :) just a thought anyway.

AbouMbodj

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

yes

clawrence111

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
Here's the deal. I found this thread and it seems like a logical place to ask a question. I did create the gateway recovery disk for my daughter's laptop. In the BIOS setup have set the DVD drive as the first boot option followed by the HD. When starting the laptop, I hear the DVD spinning but no restoration options appear. If I press F10 to go to boot options I do not get an option from the DVD. F8 does not show an option to Restore/repair the machine. If I go into Safe Mode and access the contents of the DVD then launch the Recovery Console and select Restore to factory settings, it says to reboot the PC. upon rebooting, it just returns to the normal boot process with no option to restore. So can anyone suggest what to do now in order to reset the PC to factory settings.

Cathy_7

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.