I really could use some help!!! Please and Thanks!

ferls200

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hello everyone, I'll try to keep this simple and strait forware. I have an alienware m15x specs: intel i7 q 1.73ghz, 4MB dell RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 5850, 256gb 7200rpm, windows xp 74 bit pro. I would like to either buy a new alienware or upgrade my current one. Dell approved me for a 1200 credit line and I would like to have a solid state hard drive in it or out of it. However dell told me that I could not use a solid state drive as external which I would love to have. I have an E SATA cable on the outside of my laptop so couldn't I connect a solid state drive to it. Also they did tell me I can go internal as well. I am not sure if I should buy a new laptop or how to go about this upgrade of my current machine. I can also upgrade my RAM to 8GB's but dell will not tell me what other brands that will fit because they want me to their RAM (of course!) I have 1333mhz ram that is DDR3 and 204-pin. Can anyone give me a bit of advice of what i need to do? Thanks again, and any information would be greatly appreciatted.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Well my first advice would be to not buy a Dell. THe SSD would be better in the laptop. A SSD in a laptop leads to a serious increase in performance and you will have no regrets I assure you. As far as RAM goes take the laptop to a supplier and they can find RAM that will work in your system. I doubt you will never need 8 GB.

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
Well to be honest I don't see why you can't just upgrade your hard drive with an SSD and upgrade your RAM while your at it. Then use the remaining credit on other things...

Also, you CAN used a SSD as an external drive... why you'd want to on the other hand instead of putting it in your laptop where you'll notice the performance gain is besides me. To put a SSD in an external drive you'd have to buy a drive bay that has an e-SATA controller built-in so that you can connect it back to your laptop.

I'd recommend putting your SSD in your laptop. Then take your current laptop drive or buy a nice 1TB drive or something and buy a external drive enclosure for it.

For your memory you should lookup the specs on your laptop:

Memory
Connectors two internally-accessible SODIMM sockets
Capacities 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB modules
Memory types 1067 MHz and 1333 MHz DDR3
Memory configurations
possible
2 GB, 3 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB

So go to Newegg and find some memory... what are you waiting for !!!! = )

ferls200

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Dp you have any idea of what kind of SSD i would need order or if I can use an external one? Also my index ratings are all around 7.2-.7.5 with this laptop my hard drive is like a 5.6 lol just tho

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

He ALREADY has a Dell laptop... what kind of advice is "Don't buy a Dell"... His question was about what to do with his $1200 credit.

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
Ohhhh you were approved for credit, I thought they credited you money... that's different.

Just cause you were approved for $1200, my question would be do you really need to spend it? Yes a new laptop would be nice, but if you can upgrade some of your components for half the price... well just something to consider.

Anyways, Dell doesn't have 15" laptops in their gaming line any more... only 14". Something to keep in mind. Also, for what your talking about buying, I don't even think it's in your price range with an SSD from Dell, they are $400 for 256GB.

ferls200

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I've got a good deal on a SSD 256 for 300 bucks he offered me from dell. I just am also wondering now is it really worth all the hassel. I don't just want to install the SSD but more if im gonna open my laptop up. Is a 4GB-8GB RAM much of a difference cause my RAM index's at 7.1 as is. Everything indexes at 7.0+ except my HDD. I installed the video card on my own and that was easy...i guess ill get the SSD now that I think about it. Also does anyone know if this laptop can support dual SSD's?

ferls200

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Don't get me wrong I only buy from dell for their alienware systems. If you know of anywhere else I could purchase parts or alienware systems let me know, because I surly do not.

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

Well more than likely your computer doesn't have SATAIII drives. Stick with a SSD that is SATAII. After replacing your hard drive with an SSD you'll probably see your hard drive score jump to like 7.5 I'd imagine.

When buying an SSD you need to know three things...

1.) How much money are you going to spend?
2.) How much storage do you need?
3.) What kind of performance do you expect (reads/writes)?

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

The M15x only has slots for ONE hard drive.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/M15x/en/compspec/CS_en.pdf