Yet another "Can you help me pick out a laptop or notebook

Pennsylvania Pat

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
1. What is your budget $500-$1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? No larger than 15 or 15.5

3. What screen resolution do you want? I don know what this means.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 6-8 hrs?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Not so much

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) surfing, email, excel, Word, not sure yet what Ill need

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Don't know this either

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5-10 yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Write

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

4GB Ram

500GB HDD

DVD Reader Writer drive DVD Burner

Wireless N card

Under 5lbs?

I am a 62 yr old Avon lady who needs a portable laptop/notebook or whatever. As you can see, I'm technically challenged and relying on others to tell me what I need. I have an Avon website and will be using the laptop daily to show customers products, videos, etc. I will also need it to keep records, communicate, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help and patience.

Since you will be using the notebook to consult with clients you might want to upscale a bit and consider getting some extra stylish.
The flip side is something business professional style which is also a good option working with clients.
Have you used a laptop with clients before? What make/model was it - and what was its most annoying traits?

Using the notebook in your car or outdoors? Getting one with an anti-glare matte screen would be useful. The usual glossy notebook screen has issues with glare in difficult lighting situations. An anti-glare matte screen should make it a bit easier to sit side by side with a client and view the screen together.

6-8hr battery life is a bit of a challenge. It will probably take an extra hefty battery, or a spare battery to change out half way though the day.

Do you want a dedicated number pad? For data entry in completing orders and stuff like that. If yes, that's a 15" model. If no, you can look at 13" and 14" models too.
cd694d5c6f.jpg

Pennsylvania Pat

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
WR2,
I'll have a cellular data plan as well as WiFi I've never had a laptop before which is why I don't know how to shop for one. As far as needing the side keys, that would have been nice, but that means it will weight 5+lbs. I never thought about glareproof...good point. Battery life, I;m guessing...if 6-8 is pushing it, what about 2-4 hours. Speed, memory, space and weight, oh, yeah, and clarity are my main concerns. (I think)

Ok, I think I know enough to look around for some options for you to look at.

The 3G/4G cellular data connection in addition to wireless and anti-glare option is nudging things toward the business class notebook. Not a bad direction, either. They tend to be a bit more rugged and reliable, designed for heavier duty than a consumer home notebook.

Pennsylvania Pat

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Right now I'm looking at Sprint. It's cheap enough until I know just how much I will be using it for business outside my home.

I'm not concerned about the business/professional style . I think I'd rather be more conservative on the cost.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by" And do you know what 3G/4G modem you'll want to use?"When I started this, I thought I had to go $1000-1500. I'd really like to keep it around $500-$600, if that's possible

Toshiba Tecra R840-ST8400 14" notebook ~$929 a business class notebook, incl 3yr warranty.
Core i5-2520M 2.5Ghz dual core CPU, 4GB RAM, a speed 7200rpm hard disk drive and the usual CD/DVD burner.

Has a 14" anti-glare 1366x768 LCD screen and HD 3000 Graphics chip. An optional 1600x900 LCD screen is available for $40 extra. The 1600x900 resolution give you more 'on screen real estate'. But it can tend to make text smaller and harder to read with than the standard 1366x768 (resolution is about the number of pixels on the screen).