Gaming Laptop $500-$700 budget

Volaric

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
1. What is your budget?
500-700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Doesn't matter, connecting to 25 inch monitor

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 by 1080 is the max for current monitor

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't matter, leaving plugged in at all times.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, Specifically Guild Wars 2 at max settings upon release/beta.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Nothing special beyond school/general gaming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Minimum 250gb, rest can be handled via external hard drives.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I usually browse Newegg/Tigerdirect.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I usually cycle it every 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Basic

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Whatever gets me the best deal.

13. What country do you live in?
California, USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
I would question why you are wanting a laptop when you are essentially using it as a desktop, but that is beside the point.

League of Legends is obviously not the most graphically intensive game, but I have known an AMD A6 APU laptop to run it acceptably. I don't know if an A8 laptop could handle a similar game at 1920x1080, but you can find laptops like this one with A8 processors on Newegg for under $700.

Newegg also has some laptops with discrete GPUs for close to that price range. There is an HP Pavilion DV6-6C53NR with a Core i5 2450M and Radeon HD 7690M graphics for $750... They have other laptops with various discrete graphics cards (nVidia and AMD) and Core i5 CPUs for less that as well. Check out this link...

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I think you will be hard pressed getting a "Gaming" laptop capable of running guild wars 2 on medium settings at that price range, let alone max. That's a very tight budget for a desktop, and almost impossible for a laptop for gaming.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I would question why you are wanting a laptop when you are essentially using it as a desktop, but that is beside the point.

League of Legends is obviously not the most graphically intensive game, but I have known an AMD A6 APU laptop to run it acceptably. I don't know if an A8 laptop could handle a similar game at 1920x1080, but you can find laptops like this one with A8 processors on Newegg for under $700.

Newegg also has some laptops with discrete GPUs for close to that price range. There is an HP Pavilion DV6-6C53NR with a Core i5 2450M and Radeon HD 7690M graphics for $750... They have other laptops with various discrete graphics cards (nVidia and AMD) and Core i5 CPUs for less that as well. Check out this link to see some.

Again, I cannot guarantee they will run your game on max settings, and I also haven't looked into the GPU requirements of Guild Wars 2. I would have to say the other posters are probably right in that you won't be able to max out graphics settings on Guild Wars 2 with any laptop in that price range, but the options I posted will probably give you the best gaming performance you will get from a laptop in that price range. I would expect the HP for $750 to be the best of the bunch.

Solution
Gaming and $500 are mutually exclusive.

At $700 you can get a i5-2450M and Geforce 550M (Clevo W251HPQ)

At 1,000 you can get a i5-2450M and Geforce 560M (Clevo P151HM)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html
CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc.
They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

If ya never heard of Clevo, my guess is you never heard of who actually made all the brands you have heard about.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP and Lenovo
Pegatron (former manufacturing & design division of Asus) sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
Clevo sells to WidowPW, Sager, VoodooPC, FalcolnNorthwest and other major "boutique" brands (Alienwarepre Dell buyout).