Upgrade now or wait for Ivy bridge?

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I really want to upgrade my laptop now but It's hard to justify with Ivy bridge launching next month. However I know that it won't hit volume production until June. Does that mean that there will be plenty of reasonably priced laptop available by then like there are now for sandy bridge? Or will everything still be way overpriced and I will have to wait till the end of the year to get a good deal?

For comparison, here is the laptop I'm looking at now:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-R845-S85-14-0-Inch-Laptop/dp/B005KP0BJU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

What are you looking a laptop for? Video encoding, browsing, BR movies? For general use Ivy or Sandy will be the same. To save 10% or power on battery if you are just browsing and to wait 3 months is not worth it. Encoding? Shouldn't be using laptop. If you still chose to, Sandybridge is only 10 maybe 15% behind Ivy on encoding alone. Unless QuickSync is going to be nuts. Besides, Sandybridge is really affordable atm.

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
What do you think of the laptop I choose. I really wanted something bigger than 14 inches, but it seems like the battery life just falls off a cliff at 15.6 inches (2.5 hours, really?) Are there any good thin and light weight laptops with an i5 over 14 inches?

geofelt

Distinguished
If battery life is important to you, then wait. The 22nm process will be more efficient.

If you just want a laptop for portability then you will get some better deals today.

As to prices, who knows? SSD prices are coming down, and that is something I want in my laptop.

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I already have the ssd. Just waiting for a new laptop to pop it in.

Besides SSDs are worth buying now. I got a 128GB for $120 and considering the fact that you can sell your old laptop hard drive on ebay for $70 the upgrade is only going to cost you $50. (Thank you Thailand! :D )