MacBook - Don't need it. What to do with it?

walterminty

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi,
I'm in a fortunate position to have a MacBook, (2.4Ghz core 2 Duo). That i don't need.
Don't ask why (long story) but i can't sell it, can't give it away, can't strip it for parts etc.

But i don't need it...is there anything creative anyone can think of to do with it?
All i can come up with is use it as a NAS?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You could make a pretty cool Linux box. I assume you are using now with OS X and possible Windows (via Boot Camp).

All Apple bashing aside (and recommendations of making a boat anchor), Apple actually produces a reliable system that can (and do) run for a long time.

Making into a NAS would require external drives so that use might be of limited value, but it will certainly perform this task well.

You have a good problem to have. Enjoy!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
slap a windows sticker on there and see if that cat likes it any better :)

seriously though, throw linux or Win7/8 on there and mount it in the passenger seat of your car. Remove the base and mount it under the glove-box (away from the heater blower though), put the monitor in front of the airbag, and on a swivel of some sort if you want so you can use it in the driver seat (of course not while driving lol), and then invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse (making sure to get a thumb ball mouse as it could be a pain otherwise). Or slap one of those touch-screen films over it and do away with the keys and mouse entirely.

walterminty

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
""Remove the base and mount it under the glove-box (away from the heater blower though), put the monitor in front of the airbag""

I like this, but how does the base communicate with the monitor? How do you extend the connections??