Compromise between gaming and portability?

whiteice22

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
1. What is your budget?
$1000 (somewhat flexible)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
around 14"-16"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366x768 or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Anything above 4 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, mostly LoL and Call of Duty, I want to run these games on medium settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
AutoCAD and other design programs

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
at least 500 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
xoticpc.com, but I am open to any other sites you guys recommend

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least long enough to last me through all of college, so probably 5+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have a liking to Asus, Sager, MSi, etc. just because they have a good reputation, i would like to stay away from Dell, Gateway, etc. because i have heard that their products don't last and their customer service isn't to great either.

13. What country do you live in?
US

whiteice22

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the response Brett, although it is sad to hear that there isn't anything that fits my price range, but I was able to find a laptop that fits MOST of my specifications, except the screen size, which is 14.1". Would the 1.3" really make a difference in terms of performance and quality?

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Lenovo Y570 is garbage, the screen looks horrible, the hinges are too loose after some use, and they lie about the specs on the GPU, it is actually just a slightly overclocked Gt540m which is nowhere near the touted 555m.

I would suggest the laptop I have the MSI GE620 DX. It has a 1080p screen, average to good build quality, a real Gt555m, and extremely solid hinges. I carry my msi with my around campus everyday and never find it cumbersome. Availability is becoming a problem because Msi is updating the laptop with a GT635m which should be about the same performance as the outgoing 555m.

whiteice22

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Bump, I'm broadening my horizons :D

1. What is your budget?
$1000 (somewhat flexible)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
around 14"-16"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366x768 or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Anything above 4 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, mostly LoL and Call of Duty, I want to run these games on medium settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
AutoCAD and other design programs

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
at least 500 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
xoticpc.com, but I am open to any other sites you guys recommend

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least long enough to last me through all of college, so probably 5+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have a liking to Asus, Sager, MSi, etc. just because they have a good reputation, i would like to stay away from Dell, Gateway, etc. because i have heard that their products don't last and their customer service isn't to great either.

13. What country do you live in?
US