Upgrading an old laptop

og954

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I have an old Toshiba M55-S325 laptop I bought in 2005 and I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading the memory from 512MB to 1524MB. It currently has one 512MB integrated and I have the option of buying a 1GB stick for 30 off of Amazon. My question is would I see an improvement in usability? Keep in mind we only use this laptop for web surfing and basic word processing/spreadsheets.

creativebluedot

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi there! You should see a bit of improvement when you add more RAM to your laptop. More RAM will help lessen the amount of CPU load and also prevent the hard drive from being accessed constantly.

geofelt

Distinguished
Adding ram will fix one problem you probably have. With ram prices so low, $30 seems a bit high for 1gb. I would expect half that. Go to a ram web site, like kingston, and access their ram upgrade configurator. Enter your laptop model number, and you will get a list of compatible ram upgrades. Try newegg for prices too.

If your laptop has a sata hard drive, you can absolutely transform it by replacing the hard drive with a SSD.

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

Older ram that isn't mass produced anymore is always more expensive than current ram.

og954

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
The hard disk upgrade sounds interesting. But since SSD are so expensive I think it might be an over improvement since the laptop is pretty old.

Anyways the following is the hard disk info taken straight from the owner's manual.

Mass Storage

100GB (5400 RPM) Enhanced IDE (ATA-6) hard disk drive;
8.0mm height; user removable

Is SSD still an option?

How about any other upgrades?

geofelt

Distinguished

Too bad, a ssd replacement is not reasonable for you. There used to be some ide based SSD's but they were expensive.
ide 5400rpm is a very slow performer.

I think it is time to replace the laptop.
There are some good sales going on to clear the way for ivy bridge.
Check the lenovo outlet store.

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Biggest improvement for user experience would be an SSD but since that isn't an option you can at least improve the responsiveness when using multiple applications by upgrading the RAM. I too agree that it might be worth it to look at a laptop upgrade if you really want increased performance. Dell had a sale on their outlet and I snagged several E6220s w/ 128 GB SSDs for under $600 each - frackin beautiful.