How to Check if Your Android App is Stealing Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

zain_asad

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, if a wallpaper app has permissions to your messages, calls, and sent data, it's probably not a mere wallpaper app.

G

Simple rule of thumb....

Free wallpapers, ring tones, screen savers, games, it's usually Spyware or worse.

That's why so many people are always asking to have their computers repaired.

You'd think they would be a bit more careful with their phones.

asiaprime

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]You'd think they would be a bit more careful with their phones.[/citation]

think those people are followers to the apple mentality to security: they target windows machines, so we don't need to worry about security.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Sounds like par for the course, my BB is the same way. Every time I install something I get like 5 different prompts saying Soandso requests access to this or that.

blahh

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
This whole sending data to China thing has been debunked - please do some fact checking.

http://www.androidtapp.com/android-wallpaper-apps-falsely-accused-of-spyware-and-stealing-sensitive-user-data-fud/

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Always read the "fine print" under the permissions.

"Services that cost you money" is a big red flag, but this is applies to anything that can enter in a phone number or pre-populate a text message for you. At the same time, your wallpaper app should do neither.

"Storage" is another one. Lots of apps store settings or data on the SD card, but it still shows up in red, so is it really a problem?

Maybe you downloaded a Flickr app, why does that app need access to your Personal Information (contacts)? Maybe the app lets you set a picture as the icon of a contact, it has to read and modify your contacts info to do this.

My point is, its not always clear-cut as to why the app needs the data it requests. I wish google would make it a little clearer (and maybe force the developer to include a little statement as to why they need it). In the end, if you're worried, just don't download the app. Life won't end if you can't download your 23rd fart app.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]a wise man once said there is no patch to human stupidity[/citation]
Well there are patches for them, the only problem is humanity always seems to be able to make a newer, more stupid version of stupidity :/

G

And people wonder why Jobs prefers a "Walled Garden" approach.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Mystgreen[/nom]And people wonder why Jobs prefers a "Walled Garden" approach.[/citation]
That's not really a the point of this. It's like saying 'no wonder some parents wipe everything down with anti-bacterial wipes'. Anything that is too controlled and assumed safe will fail hardest when it's crunch time. Like those poor children's immune systems.

dredj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Mario wallpaper app requires internet access. Oh well, I love seeing it WAY to much to care. Compared to others, though, it's not nearly as intruding.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Mystgreen[/nom]And people wonder why Jobs prefers a "Walled Garden" approach.[/citation]
Since the whole story about the wallpaper spyware has been declared as FUD, I'm just going to say Apple Sucks and be done with it.

http://www.androidtapp.com/android-wallpaper-apps-falsely-accused-of-spyware-and-stealing-sensitive-user-data-fud/

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
while there are some great wallpaper/ringtone apps that i'll accept network access on due to their ads, Sometimes things like "media manager" or other location and GPS based tools are really trying to steal my information.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blahh[/nom]This whole sending data to China thing has been debunked[/citation]
I don't care if sending those data is legit or not. I would never allow a wallpaper to send any data. If the developer really needs to improve the content of their product, they should do so explictly and not hiding it from the user.
Most newer applications now would ask you for permission before sending any data. And all developers should follow this standard of practice. Otherwise, I would consider them as non-legit.

G

The sending data to China HAS NOT been debunked!
You mean to tell me that a wallpaper needs to collect device id,phone number and subscriber id and then you have the audacity to say it's not gathering user data! How is that not user data and why is a wallpaper collecting those things?
Sure thing Chang, keep thinking everyone in the world is stupid. They should ban Chinese software, it seems you can't trust anything coming from that country.

G

@yurismirov the combination of phone number & device id is a great way to remember you across devices and provide personalisation like favorites without an explicit registration.

Also keep in mind that free applications may need internet, location and phone state to provide ads.
Android ads by Apple/Quattrowireless require

# INTERNET
# READ_PHONE_STATE
# ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
# ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION

Source: http://wiki.quattrowireless.com/index.php/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.