New SSD, fan constantly running

Torgan

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,

I have recently added an Intel 520 series 120GB SSD to my laptop and have migrated the OS and Program files onto it successfully. Everything works fine, however the Cooling Fan is running constantly, revving every 5 seconds. Any ideas on how to put it back to normal operations please?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It's doing that because the processor is able to maintain a higher load due to the SSD being able to feed it more data faster.

It's normal, don't turn it down.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
^ WOW first time I've heard that. I think it's more to do with CPU utilization percentage which is more a function of user/programs running. An example would be playing a DVD - No difference between a HDD and a SSD as the data rate (requests for data) is the same for HDD or SSD and CPU utilization would be identical.
Have 3 laptops that I've converted the HDD -> an SSD and found NO change in Fan speed. Latest one is The Samsung RF711 which I replaced the Boot drive to a 128 Gig M4 plus added a 2nd M4 in the 2nd HDD slot.

You didn't mention the laptop model. Does it have a dedicated GPU or does it just use an iGPU (is a Sandybridge CPU with no dedicated GPU.

If a Dedicated GPU can you tell if it is the GPU, or CPU fan that is spinning up.
Might want to run a program (Can try CPUID HWMonitor) to look at temps/fan speeds.

May be a change in control panel on power settings - could have been changed with new installation of windows).
Did you reload all the drivers and software (Not the Bloatware) that should have been installed. There may have been a software installation that regulated the fan speed based on cpu temperature.
Maybe able to see a setting in Bios, However that would/shound not have changed - Most laptops have a Limited BIOS that the user can play with.

Could it be that it is more noticable as you no longer have a "Loud" hard drive spining up and down.