Laptop Suggestions

utexas22

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi everyone - first post here,

I had a Dell Latitude D830 for almost 4 years and in a matter of two weeks both the motherboard and screen failed on me. Because it was during finals, I rushed to Best Buy to get a laptop to use and hopefully last me a while (dad funded this). I ended up buying the Lenovo V570 as it seemed to be the best I could get with my money given my circumstances. After two months the laptop wouldn't start up so I took it to Best Buy they sent it off to the service center and could not repair it. Now I'm left either picking the same laptop or buying something new (I have $600 best buy credit and can sell it to a friend for close to that amount)

I'm really interested in getting something else. Being from a family of all Dell users I'd like to stick to that as we've had very little problem with them for a long time. Currently I'm looking at new and refurbished Dell E5520's with the i5-2520M and either 4 or 8 GB of ram ($600-800).

Basically, I'm looking for some suggestions for a sturdy and reliable laptop with similar specs as the E5520. My requirements are that it must have the i5, have between 4-8 GB of ram, and in the $600-800 range. Mainly do work with Excel (large databases/stat analysis) and occasionally watch movies (no gaming at all). Don't care what it looks like or how much it weighs as long as it will last me 3 years with walking to class for year of that.

beelzebubba

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

I think your best bet is to stick with a Dell Latitude from Dell Outlet. I have a Latitude E6400 that I bought from the Outlet 3yrs ago last month and I haven't had the first problem.

If you're looking for a 15.6" model, check out the E6520 as well as the E5520. They're VERY similar in appearance, the biggest difference being the E6520's longer option list and standard 3-year warranty. If you're open to a 14" display, the E5420 and E6420 are also great choices!

The most important advice I can offer is to make sure you choose one with a high-res display. They all come with the industry standard (and inadequate, IMO) 1366x768 resolution, but the E5420/E6420 have a 1600x900 upgrade option and the E5520/E6520 have a Full HD 1920x1080 option. In addition to the higher resolution, the quality, contrast ratio, and max. brightness also increase with the display upgrades. FYI- the E5520/E6520 were initially available with a 1600x900 displeay also, but it was discontinued late last year. You will still find some of those (especially E6520) with that display in the Outlet.]

One final recommendation- go with one of the "DELL Outlet NEW" if possible, not that there is anything wrong with the CERTIFIED REFURBISHED. I just prefer a brand new one and there are plenty in the Dell Outlet right now!