No power supply. No daughter card yet a loose wire for one.

queenraver01

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hello, I have no power supply to my T41 IBM think-pad laptop. Both charger and battery have been tested and are OK. I have noticed a loose wire to the rear, which looks as though it should connect to a daughter card. But I haven't one!!! Weird.... Would this be the cause of the lose of power? If yes then what has happen to the daughter card as my laptop has always worked up until this problem a few days ago.

queenraver01

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
PICT0017.JPG

Hi Brett, I think I've entered I correctly? lol

Thanks so much Teresa ;) :hello:

Hi :)

You didnt mention you had taken the laptop apart lol...

They rarely work after amateurs do that...

The lead looks like the end lead for the INVERTER...

But I would need some better quality pictures to say for sure...

All the best Brett :)

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
thats a very blurry picture like brett said

but to me thats probably the cable for the modem

the invertor cable connects at the far right hand of the screen side so that cables not long enough

got 4 ibm t41/t42/t43 sitting here but its after midnight so too late to pull one apart to look

did you use the ibm service manual when disassembling it?

their manuals are pretty good and easily available unlike some laptop manufacturers

could be the power jack is the problem--quite common on these

good news is its not soldered on

bad news is you have to take everything including the motherboard out to get to it

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I don't know what the lead is but from the photo I see that the processor does not have the heat sink attached to it. If you did manage to power up the laptop like that the CPU would destroy itself in a second or so.

queenraver01

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for all ur help. I will let u know how I get on as I ordered a daughter card online so hopefully it will be arriving in the morning. Please keep fingers crossed lol thank you so much again Teresa :)

queenraver01

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Hi, a quick question. Where abouts is the processor and the heat sink? lol
:eek:

Many thanks Teresa

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
the heatsink is the big copper bit with the fan on it

the processor is under it

the heatsink needs to be screwed down before re-assembling and the fan power connector plugged in

queenraver01

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thank you so much ;)

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
the most likely fault other than faulty motherboard is the power jack

lack of the modem card wont stop it powering up

the power jack is the little yellow box at the top left of your picture

inside it there is a bit of copper that tends to over time get pushed in and lose its springiness so it doesnt make

contact--in the past i have managed to bend it back out using a thin hooked bit of wire

though its really cheap to replace its just a pain to get to

this is it here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DC-Power-Jack-Socket-BM-T40-T41-T42-T43-R50-R51-R52-/250895545350?pt=UK_Computing_Laptop_Accessories_LaptopCables_Connectors&hash=item3a6a8a3406

queenraver01

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Oh my god I noticed there was a bit of the inner of the yellow had been chipped and I didn't think that this would cause the power lost.... Oh wow thank u very very much I will take a look now and let u know how it goes..... Thanks again Teresa ;)