- 640 Gb Hard Drive
- x3 USB2 ports
- x1 eSATA/USB2 port
- x1 HDMI port
- x1 VGA port
- DVD Player
- SD card Reader
- Genuine windows 7 64 bits

It is broken a little bit on the side and the lid can not be closed. I was thinking use it as a replacement desktop, since components are not affected.

200 pounds

Good deal?

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The HD5650M gives it a little bit of cachet and replacing the case could turn out to be surprisingly cheap (say £10-30) if you've got the ability to tear down and reassemble a laptop. I wouldn't give more than about $250-275 for it here in the States and I don't know how the market differs in the UK. Considering how expensive everything else seems to be there, though, I'd guess it's worth (to an end-user, not a reseller, which often seems to be where Brett's valuations are) about £150-175, tops. Fix the case and then it might catch £200.

mattatcomputer

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I sort of assumed I could still use the laptop screen :(

mattatcomputer

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Yeah I have not even built a desktop computer so no experience in building systems, however I could always give a go and follow you tube videos, but considering the level of proficiency required to tear down a laptop I think I better not. I can not find any chassis around that price mark :( . If you replace the case on a laptop does the screen come off with it? Maybe I could buy a cheap micro PC case and put the motherboard in there and then HDMI output to my pc screen or is that a massive :non:?

mattatcomputer

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I have been assured. And I have not seen it in operation but I am going to travel to this persons house ( only 10 miles away) and look at it then.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

it its used, and has physical damage and you are going to just go on the fact that he "assured" you? is this money you have to burn because it seems that way

Hi :)

Hmm sort of lol...

I own a Laptop repair company and a Computer company with shops....in the UK...

Do NOT even think about buying it until YOU personally have seen it run....and seen whats wrong with the screen...and made sure the HDMI works...

THEN think about a price....

But remember that in the UK you can buy a brand new laptop (a crap one admittedly) for just over £200....so £200 For a broken one is a bit of a risk , to say the least...

All the best Brett :)

Hi MATT :)

Oops I forgot to ask...

HOW PRECISELY did it get a broken lid/hinges ???

If It was dropped ...forget it...something else WILL fail....usually around 10 minutes after you buy it lol....

If someone tried to sell me that in my shops I would offer around £30 to £80 depending on condition and how much plastic it needed....thats a trade offer but you should not pay much more...if anything...

mattatcomputer

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

OK thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

I will be investigating it thoroughly myself, any checks you can recommend without opening up the case, to see if the components are in full working order?

And perhaps because you own a laptop repair company do you have any good deals ;) ?

Thanks

Matt

mattatcomputer

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I do not know , I will ask him tonight. Surely you would pay more if not just for the components :??: for they are relatively decent? And I always thought a repair company could probably move them into a new chassis?

Hi :)

Lol..you realise how much it would cost me to put that mobo/cpu into a new laptop case including the labour?

Hundreds....then all I have is a rebuilt lappy which I have to guarantee...and it was possibly dropped (which usually means a crashed hard drive)

In reality. I would pay as little as I could (think £30 to£50) then strip the lappy of parts I can use (not the hd) memory , plastics etc etc...maybe screen, maybe inverter.....then as a business , I would have to sit on a lot of those parts for maybe a year or two until I sell them as second hand plastics etc....

I WOULD make some money eventually , but not a huge amount, but maybe enough to fill my Porsches tank (once lol)

I regret saying this but when I started posting here I decided on principal that I would not use my company name or sell anything to users here at Toms...that way my advice is always unbiased....

mattatcomputer

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Well thanks for giving me a slap of reality and a glimpse into how a pc repairs company works. :).Sounds like a fair policy, but can you at least tell me whereabouts in the country your company is based? On private message if you want?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt :)

Sorry but no...principles dont bend they break :)

By the way..Curry`s ONLINE had some ridiculously cheap new lappys in the last 2 days, although they may all be gone now...