Best external hard drive for dell laptop

Claire_33

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hello,
I need a portable external hard drive for my 2007 Dell Inspiron 9400. It has an 80GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive. I do business applications mostly on it, no gaming, but I'm just about out of space.

I've read some good reviews about a Western Digital Elements I believe. Any ideas for me. Don't have a lot to spend.

Claire_33

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks to all of you! This is a terrific site. I ended up purchasing a WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB for $140 on Amazon. Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to use it properly. At this point I have backed up my data to it, but have not had time to check out the user manual properly or work with moving some files to clear up some space (am a CPA and busy with tax work right now) on my laptop.

I did encounter a problem with the 'Safely remove...'; it came up with a msg 'Cannot... because other programs are running' -even though there were none running. I found on-line that others have had the same situation with My Passport and it may be caused by anti-virus pgm or other. Am going to use the recommended advice to 'unmount' when my Windows Defender finishes its scan (if & when it does -it seems to take FOREVER!). If the techie advice I read doesn't work I will probably be back here to ask for advice since other posters with the same problem said talking to WD tech didn't help.