Buying a pc from.xoticpc.com

fishtung

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi everyone.
im in the market for a gaming laptop.. my question is is there ant negative from buy a customize laptop (as far as quality ) compared to stock/.

i never heard of .xoticpc.com untill i came to these forum. what are your opinions with this site?

also is it worth buying an ssd drive? if so how much space is the minimum u would purchase?

and they offer ram upgrade from 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS to 12GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB SODIMMS) for only 30buck .
or would you upgrade to 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS) for 39 dollars? or are either overkill.

go211

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I bought high-end laptop from XoticPC 2 months ago and am satisfied with the experience. I appreciate the level of customization available to you (down to choices of thermal compound for your processor chip). Also upgrading from hard disk to Intel SSD did not increase the price by exorbitant amount of money, unlike the big players (Dell, Sony) I tried before I settled for Xotic.

I highly recommend upgrading to SSD (Intel 510 or 520 SSD that is). Unless you know you will not need more storage, I recommend to get at least 120GB capacity SSD. Also remember that performance of the SSD ramps up as you go from 64GB -> 128GB -> 254GB.

As far as memory goes, get as much memory as you can. The speed of memory modules is secondary concern. For example, I maxed out my notebook with 16GB (4x4GB) modules. That way I can run what I have to, and then some VMs, and all with system paging disabled (i.e. no disk I/Os to SSD and back for memory swapping -->> huge performance impact).

Hope this helps.