Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi guys,

Can any one give me a good review for Alienware M14x with below config:

Processor: i5
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 750GB(7200 rpm)
Graphics card: GeForce GT 555M

This is an entry level gaming laptop, and I have tried to find reviews for it but, there aren't any for such config.( though there are many reviews for a higher end model in the same segment)

Thanks,
Krunal.

Boopoo

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
Overpriced a bit but you would be best off to build yourself an entry level gaming PC and it will walk all over that alienware for less than half the price then buy a cheap laptop with all the cash you saved.

AntiZig

Distinguished

that is a sound advice, but in case the OP doesn't have that option.

You probably won't find any reviews of that laptop, because those laptops are all highly customizable upon placing the order, so there's quite a few possible hardware configurations.

You can find reviews for similar hardware laptops from other company, or separate reviews for each piece of hardware. Just because alienware tech's are putting the hardware toghether doesn't mean it will perform any differently.

As far as the casing build, you can look at other reviews of same model of alienware laptop with different hardware, they won't differ much.

Boopoo

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

If OP has $1100 to blow on an Alienware sure as **** he can spend less on a decent PC.

Boopoo

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

I you have $1100 that more than enough for a PC build LOL whats your point.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

He might not have the room for a gaming PC?
He doesn't have any experience and doesn't want to screw up?
He is an on-the-go person and needs a portably gaming laptop?
He already has a gaming PC?
The list goes on, take them into account unless the OP otherwise said so.

Consider this Sager:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8130

Boopoo

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

If you have the room for a big ass Alienware gaming laptop that are not even a good portable option anyway.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Caring cases aren't that expensive.
Most laptops only weigh a few pounds, while desktops can weigh several dozen.
A desktop also requires a desk in many cases.
Until the OP clarifies his choice on a gaming laptop vs a desktop, I'll respect his request.

@OP
Speaking of clarifying, why do you want a gaming laptop vs a desktop?

Boopoo

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

OK for all intents and purposes Gaming laptops are just like a desktop PC they are heavy and hot running which in the lap they overheat very fast when gaming so you need a proper desk with a proper laptop cooling system and a gaming mouse which really mitigates a laptop in the first place for gaming on.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
A highend gaming laptop is heavy and fairly big but not necessary super hot. I wouldn't put one on my lap anyways. However he is interested in a 14" Alienware which is neither big, nor heavy nor hot running. I'm sure that is why he chose the 14" model and not the 17" or 18" model.

Either way even the 17" model which I own with fastest CPU and GPU currently available is still plenty portable for my needs and extremely portable when compared with my home system I built. It's not like I'm going to load up a super tower case and 3 23" monitors and take anywhere. So portability is relative to your personal needs not what anybody else's needs are.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Where I understand your concern (gamings PCs are much faster and much cheaper then laptops).

However I get frustrated every time I read posts from ignorant people like you who live in some sort of bubble and don't understand the point of the hardware or the needs of the people.

I'm in the military and I got a huge sager gaming laptop because I'm always away from home. Military schools, deployments, PCSing *waiting for household goods to arrive 60 days later*, etc etc. Gaming laptops are great way to carry around PC gaming in a portable form factor.

I can easily pack up my SAGER and take it with me out of state and set it up in a hotel room and game on my downtime.

Not to mention that I love LAN parties, and bringing a gaming laptop is a LOT more convenient then dragging around my Fulltower case with i7 930 OCed to 4.6ghz, 6gb of DDR3 1866 ram, and 3x 580s in Tri-SLI, 27" monitor, all the cables, keyboard, etc. All I have to do is bring a laptop bag with my SAGER, a mouse+mousepad, and a headset, all in one bag, and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Why don't you people understand that sometimes you just want the portability of a laptop, with enough power to play the latest PC games on the go? FFS get your heads out of your asses, please!

As for the OP, the 555 is a decent GPU, capable of fairly smooth gaming, as long as you keep the resolution to a minimum and use AA sparingly. Price is a little high, you're paying for the alienware name-brand. I'd go with SAGER, MSI or ASUS for same parts and lower price point.

But the price isn't so out of control that it's a "bad buy". It certainly has a nice look to it and the backlit keyboard with customizable colors is cool.

gundam007

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I found someone who was selling a used m14x for $800. So I did a little research before buying it, and it seems like some/most people are complaining how the cpu and gpu temperature on the m14x is around 90-100c. Others fixed and recommend by reapplying new thermal paste for the gpu and cpu.

So I decided not to get it, after I found out that m14x stands for 14 inch. Since I don't want anything lower then 15.6 inch.

You can find out how well the nVidia GT 555M does in the following link:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html

The specs of the laptop is somewhat hidden, but it was done with a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570-086225U which also uses a Core i5 CPU. Additionally, I believe the nVidia "GT 555M" used in Lenovo laptops are actually overclocked GT 550M, therefore a "real" GT 555M should give a little better performance. See specs in the following link.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y570-086225U-Laptop-Review.66717.0.html

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Fortunately I already answered the post for the OP.

*mod edit: lets not resume arguing*

Also, i'll post something that might help people in the future. If you're looking for a "gaming laptop", don't get sold by going to a department store and getting a laptop that the salesmen says is "really good". 99% of the time, the laptop they are trying to sell you has some sort of x20 or x300 GPU in it, with a decent CPU and ram.

The salesmen or women doesn't know that for gaming the most important part is the GPU, and resolution plays a big roll in gaming. For example, the OPs m14x has a 555m gtx in it, which is decent for the small 14" 1366 x 798 ish resolution that the monitor has.

But if you have the same (or worst) GPU on a 1920 x 1080 17" laptop, it's going to be a really bad at playing games.

Many "gaming" or high end laptops will claim great things, but when you read the stats you'll see Nvidia 520m GTX GPU!!!! and it gets about 15 FPS in skyrim lol.

Best thing you can do is research laptops you want to buy and find some benchmarks of the GPU the laptop has. CPU and such will play a small factor in FPS gains/loss, but you will get a general idea of how powerful a gaming laptop is by looking at mobile GPU benchmarks, which are very easy to find on google.

So bottom line, before you buy any laptop for gaming, check the GPU benchmarks. Also note that 15" laptops can't fit very nice/big GPU setups. So be very warry of 15" laptops with 1920x1080 screens, more then likely the GPU won't be strong enough to play games smoothly at it's native resolution.

If you're not worried about the extra weight, Clevo / alienware make some pretty hefty beasts with high end 17" laptops that fit SLI / crossfire configurations of high end GPUs like 580m GTX. They are the best you can get, but are very thick, and will cost you around 3000 bucks.

Hope it helps.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thread has been cleaned up. OP i hope you have the answer to your question even though we got derailed a bit, lets try to stay on topic from this point on.

@airborne, check your PMs.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
from everything i have seen, the m14x seems very decent. most every flaw anyone points out (weight, power, size, etc.) are pretty insignificant and understandable. (it has alot of, and large components, of course it is large and heavy)

the gpu is plenty capable of light gaming, i think it isn't given the credit it deserves because people are comparing it to their SLI beasts, not other laptops.

in short, it depends on your application. if you need a pretty capable rig that is portable, here you go.

solrac135

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I have one too and don't think is a good gaming machine !
Mine is one year old and since day 1 when gaming my cpu can go up to 90 so is very uncomfortable to have that hot machine on your laps!

Up to you but wise advise wait for the R2 wish are around the corner !

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
that's interesting, when does the R2 come out? and again, a simple usb lap cooler will solve that, if that's your only issue with the machine. how does it perform other then that?