Alternative to Apple

bgsather

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
I am looking for a windows based laptop that has just as nice if not better display than an Apple Macbook.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230171 Ultrabook set to compete with the Macbooks.

Quote: "Preface: I come from a Macbook Pro and it was the only mac machine I have ever had. 1 mac to 10+ pc ratio. This is a review for the DH73 (I7 256 SSD). I will move to appropriate listing when it's available.

- Absolutely wonderful build quality. I find it to be at a higher level than my MBP. The spun metal finish on the top looks great when it's not in direct flash flair in press conferences.

- Meets all of the advertised claims: I've counted my startup time to 7~seconds and the 2 second standby is accurate.The machine is incredibly fast and snappy, very lightweight and mobile, thin, great specs etc. It's really the perfect size as well; perfect resolution for the screen size.

- Keyboard is wonderful. Zero complaints at all.

- Battery life seems spectacular. Even when it's in power-save mode, I can watch netflix in the highest quality. I will update when I attempt to watch a 1080p video in power-save mode, and might work in some non-highly gfx intensive gaming.

Cons: - Colors seem a little bit off out of the box. I have yet to calibrate them, so I won't comment as to whether or not this is a byproduct of an only decent screen panel, or just needs calibration.

- Trackpad is not as good as my MBP, but each driver update has improved it substantially, and I expect it to be on par sooner rather than later. As it stands now, I haven't found an option for 2-finger gesture scrolling to have the scroll come to a slow stop if you release your fingers. It only does a set # of lines at a time. Also, very small accurate movements are slightly difficult.

- Speakers sound wonderful, but my left speaker gives off a noticeable vibration buzz. Will see how it is after 10+ hours of use.

Other Thoughts: All that being said, easily the best laptop I've owned. Blows my mbp out of the water."

The $350 more expensive version with 128 gigs of SSD space and an i7. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230169

bgsather

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

I am looking for a windows laptop that has the same bright and vivid colors as a macbook pro display.

I am a photographer by trade and I am sick of looking at the washed out bad colors of most laptops but I cannot afford a macbook nor do I want to buy all my software over again.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

What's your budget? And are you going to travel a lot? Screen size preference?

bgsather

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012

I can afford up to $1000.

Not much in the way of travel.

The screen size needs to be a minimum of 15 inches.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
HP DV7-6C80US

Almost identical to my DV7-6163US except that it's 200MHz faster and has 2GB more RAM than mine. BD-ROM/DVD-RW and a 750GB HDD with a 2nd 2.5" bay for your choice of SSD, though you'll need a special $40 cable HP decided not to include for it. LED backlight makes for a bright vivid display that's a whopping 17.3". The extended 9-cell battery provides incredibly long battery life for a laptop this size.

You say you're not going to be traveling much so the 6.75lb heft shouldn't be too much of an issue for you.

I haven't used a MacBook in ages but I traded up from an Asus Pentium-M 15.6" laptop that served me well for almost seven years. I could never find an affordable alternative that had as good a display. You should be able to check one out at your local Best Buy or Fry's to see if you like the display. I'm not a photographer so my tastes aren't as discerning as yours. All I know is that mine looks good to me.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Yours is $70 more with integrated graphics and a 5400 rpm hdd. You do have the quad core though.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

The integrated graphics kinda grates on me but I'm learning that HD Graphics 3000 is not completely worthless. It's about as good as an old GeForce 7600. Pretty decent 5-6 years ago, still semi-usable, and a hell of a lot better than GMA900.