Cooked my Vaio

Hi all,
Got a older model laptop which has only remained running through sheer determination (and an external cooling pad). When I purchased my vaio, I was travelling alot and required the portability. In the past year, I have not travelled much, and my laptop stays on a cooling pad all the time so I don't know when exactly the cpu fan failed but I did notice my keyboard would often get hotter than normal at times (usually gaming). Anyway, long story short, I went gaming at a friends house about two months ago without my cooling pad and within 1/2 hour my computer shut itself down.
Here's my question to you all...
Do I attempt to salvage the computer? CPU fan/heatsink combo $100 or do I scrap it and throw the hard drive into my gaming rig?

My CPU - Turion II p520 is currently running at 70C (on cooling pad) in econo settings at 800MHz (a far cry from it's 2.3GHz rating)
SONY Vaio VPCEE22FX-WI upgraded to 8Gb ram

Solution
If you can get a new HSF for it for $100, then it might be worthwhile depending how much you paid for the unit initially. Also check to make sure the laptop's warranty has expired first before attempting this.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
If you can get a new HSF for it for $100, then it might be worthwhile depending how much you paid for the unit initially. Also check to make sure the laptop's warranty has expired first before attempting this.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS