CAN THIS LAPTOP BE BOOTED FROM A FLASH STICK?

Vicky12

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Acer Aspire One D150-1Bb
CPU:Intel Atom processor N280 (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB )
RAM: DDRII 1GB
HDD:160GB(SATA, 5400 rpm)

Boot listing in BIOS:
1. IDE 0 : TOSHIBA MK1652GSX
2. IDE 1 :
3. USB FDD :
4. Network Boot : Atheron Boot Agent
5. USB HDD :
6. USB CDROM :

I have successfully burnt the eRecovery on a DVD and them transferred it to a flash stick. I want to boot and recover the OS from the flash stick.

Acer says this laptop CAN NOT BE BOOTED FROM A FLASH STICK.
Articles on the line say this laptop CAN BE BOOTED FROM A FLASH STICK.

CAN THIS LAPTOP BE BOOTED & RECOVER THE OS FROM A FLASH STICK?
HOW if yes?
Why if no?

Thank you!

From Acer support website:
Why can't I get the F12 Boot Menu to work on my notebook or netbook?
The F12 Boot Menu allows you to choose which device that you would like to boot the computer's Operating System from by pressing the F12 key during the computer's Power On Self Test, or POST process. Some notebook and netbook models have the F12 Boot Menu disabled by default.

-> And it goes on to explain how to enable the F12 Boot Menu (so you can boot from a USB drive).

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Of course it can, and if you had a bootable flash stick plugged in while looking ini the bios you would see it located in the list. Im not sure copying a DvD to USB flash actually makes the flash stick bootable though. Just like you cant copy a Windows disk to usb and boot, there is a special app that makes it bootable on the flash.

Also, your Acer should have a hidden recovery partition. Without looking it up I believe Acer hidden partitions are accessed by pressing Alt F10 at boot. Then you can factory restore from the hard drive.