Ultrabooks

nathanman

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hi there! I have been getting excited about some of the ultrabooks coming out this year. Last year (2011)'s ultrabooks never really impressed me in comparence to the macbook air. However, 2012 looks promising. What do you think is the best pc brand for a 13in ultrabook?

If you want to play games, then you might want to wait until new Ultrabooks with the Intel mobile Ivy Bridge CPUs are released. I believe that should be April 2012.

Mobile Ivy Bridge CPUs will have the Intel HD 4000 graphics core. Based on Anandtech's estimate; it should be about 60% faster than the current Intel HD 3000 found in Sandy Bridge CPUs. As a comparison, that is basically going from a desktop Radeon HD 5450 to a Radeon HD 5550. While still considered a budget desktop video card, the Radeon HD 5550 is more powerful than it's little brother.

Hi :)

The main problem with Ultrabooks is cooling..when they are that thin there WILL be major problems cooling the gpu in particular....the fan blades will be too thin to shift much air...

I wouldnt buy one for gaming anyway...

All the best Brett :)

nathanman

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah, I don't do much gaming anyway, so I am definately waiting for the Ivy Bridge processors and could more or less overlook any deficit in graphics. Will the array of ultrabooks that were flaunted in CES be getting the Ivy Bridge processors in april, or will I still have to look for other models than the ones existing? Another thing, what is everyone's opinion about whether the hp folio 13 is a good money saver compared to the new envy spectre? Any other brand opions?