Gateway ma7 wont start, battery and charger works

chronoss

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
HI,

I have a Gateway MA7 model MX6931 and this is what happened:

I used the laptop the night before and everything was ok, but the next morning when I was going to use it... didn't turn on!

I can see that the laptop is getting power from the battery and it also charges the battery if its low in charge, so I don't think its the battery or the charger.

I can see that the battery LED is lit up and blue (not red, or flashing), but when I hit the power button, the front power LED lits up for a sec and then dims out but nothing gets powered, the fan does not move, no other LED lits up... nothing.

I have tried to start it with and without the charger, with or without the battery and nothing... just the power LED lighting up and dimming out after a sec.

Does anyone have an Idea of what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Oscar

chronoss

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you for your reply,

I tried with a different gateway charger and different ram sticks (for the same model), unfortunately I am still unable to get it to boot :(

Need to start looking at the power jack and maybe the motherboard. Looks like that laptop is 5 or so years old, may not be worth it to repair. Will cost a few 100 in labor and parts, you can get a new laptop for about $400, or a used faster one for 2-300.