How do you plug in a wireless computer into a LAN line

lew65

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello,
I have a laptop computer in my home and I have wireless. I would like to use my computer and my mother's house but she has a LAN line instead of wireless (I think Road Runner). How can I use my laptop at her house? Thanks. Lyn

wireless-router-network.jpg

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
If the cable modem is also a router, you could plug into the ports on the back of it with an Ethernet cable.

What model number is the cable modem Lew? Ie, are you sure that it does not have wireless?

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I'm reading about Road Runner, and it looks like they already include a wireless router as part of their standard hook-up, as do most now.

So the unit that you mother has should also be a wireless router. (it should be one device, but might be two different devices around the computer).
Find out the model number of the unit and post here.

Road runner give you two options...

#1 - You get a wired modem. The one I have only allows you to attach a single device. I got mine hooked up to a wireless router. I don't really use the wireless aspect of it since a wired network offers much higher transfer rates. Important to me when I sometimes transfer gigabytes of data between my two PC and laptop.

#2 - You get a wireless modem. Basically means you do not need to buy a wireless router, but it costs an extra $6 - $7 per month. That's $72 - $84 per year. My friend got talked into getting a wireless modem by Time Warner / Road Runner even though she already has a wireless router. I told her to swap it in for a normal wired modem so she doesn't waste money.

TRENDING THREADS