Nvidia Ion or AMD Fusion

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hello all, it has been a very long time since I posted in here.

I am now in my second semester of college as an engineering student, and require a laptop for my programming class. The compiler I'm using is basic: Bloodshed Dev C++, and I'm sure any old laptop could run it. However, I am also an avid Minecraft player, and whenever I'm at a friend's house or out of town, I am jealous of my friends playing minecraft on their laptops while I have to wait to get home to my home built system.

My problem is this: I am constrained on a budget. $500 would be my max, and I will not settle for Intel HD graphics, because they simply blow. I have always been interested in Nvidia Ion, and it was my first choice, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone ever tried the AMD fusion versus Nvidia? I am aware the CPUs are comparable, but the GPUs I am out of touch because I haven't been keeping up with current tech.

The netbooks in question are the Asus 1215n and the Asus 1215b. Both are ~400-450, and both have about 6 hours of battery life.

Any advice would be appreciated.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-e-350-atom-d525-nvidia-ion-2,2905-4.html

It seems like the Fusion does better in CPU focused games so it might be the better choice for Minecraft.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks for the reply,

I actually just noticed that after googling it some more. I came to the same conclusion. Though it isn't a gaming computer, it would be sufficient for my needs.

I think I'll go ahead with getting it. Talk about a quick conclusion!