Laptop challenge spec specific

lilputt

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
1. What is your budget? 1050 after tax and shipping to california

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1600x900+

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5. How much battery life do you need? 3+ while gaming

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? skyrim, battlefield3, sc2, diablo 3

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I will be doing lots of gaming, cad and graphic design

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3+

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? open

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Needs to have a nvidia 560 video card or equivalent.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Umm..my netbook can watch 2 full length dvd movies and have battery left. Of course, thats with the brightness down and wifi off.

Anyhow, I doubt you'll find a laptop in that size for that price (that can game). And note that the mobile 560M does NOT equal the desktop 560, let alone the 560 ti. See the gpu hierarchy at the end of the most recent 'Best GPU for the money' article.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Presumably he knows that - and you're wrong. There are laptops that can blow "$500 gaming pc"s that you see on here all the time out of the water. Crossfired cards and all. They're just pricey.

Hi :)

You need to reread his original post......he wants a GAMING laptop ....

"1050 after tax and shipping to california"

That is just not possible..... and even a $2000 laptop will not come anywhere near a $2000 gaming PC...

Oh and my company builds gaming Pcs and the graphics cards alone are over $500 EACH...

All the best Brett :)

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Never said they were dollar for dollar equal - and what is a gaming PC varies greatly from person to person, it doesn't have to be $2k. You see a lot of attempts to make "gaming PCs" in the $500-600 as the quarterly SBM exemplifies. There are laptops that can match/beat those.

You must not sell many PCs if you either a.) only sell 580s/7970s or b.) overcharge that much for anything else :) Based on some of your other responses on threads, I'd say it's a brand new company that you've started there and you have something to learn (or you work for someone else's "my company"?)

I've been in IT for a long long time - you can nearly always get what you want, you just have to pay for it. Sometimes a lot.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Either the Sager NP8180 (with SLI'd 560Ms) or the NP8170 (with the 580M) will perform on level with a desktop GTX560.

That said, they will be 1.5-2x your price. They are available here: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=11

Here's the hierarchy chart showing the 580M on level with the GTX560.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I should add, the default NP8130 has a 560M in it and is $1069, so that may meet your needs.

Hi :)

An amusing reply...unfortunately untrue...

I own various Computer comapnies in the UK and have done so for over 20 years...I am ancient by the way :)

Most of our Custom built games machines sell for between £2000 and £3000...(depending on what the customer specifies)

All the best Brett :)