LCD Display no picture.

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hi
I have an ACER Aspire 8730 laptop that has no display on the LCD.
The external display works fine and there are no error messages.
I have checked the connections and they are all connected.
The back lights are also working that means the inverter is working correctly.

In the operating system ( win7) the screen detection function finds the external monitor however the standard LCD is not there.

Does this problem sound like a cable issue ?
Thanks

AntiZig

Distinguished
sounds like a cable/panel issue, how did you check that inverter is working?

If external works then your videocard is fine, so the fact that primary lcd doesn't work leaves you with the following:
monitor malfunction (backlight or LCD panel failure)
GPU to monitor connection malfunction (broken wire or connection pulled out of socket)

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Thank you for the reply, when i open the lid of the laptop the LCD illuminates with backlight.
From what i gather the inverter board powers the LCD backlight?

I have opened the screen to check connections on the LCD and also the laptop GPU card and everything looks intact and tight.

One extra thing : i was connecting the laptop to an external HDMI connection a few times and opening and closing the screen in front of a " log burner" - the Laptop LCD suddenly came on ? I am not sure if this had something to do with the heat and the back of the lcd screen ?

Any help is much appreciated.

AntiZig

Distinguished
that's most likely a broken wire that's losing contact and when you close open screen or any other vibration it causes it to regain contact. Or it could be that something expanded due to heat reestablishing the connection.

That pretty much confirms that it's a ribbon problem for you

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

That’s what i thought, i just needed to get a few other expert opinions before i buy a cable ( don’t want it to be a money pit ) :cry: .
It would be great if someone by chance had a cable for sale on the forum.

Thank you for your help on this!

G

Get the cable off of ebay. Should be less than $20.00, good luck!

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
*** UPDATE****

Ok I bought a few parts

* LCD Inverter -

* LCD Cable new -

I have replaced the parts and still no luck.

Any ideas ?

AntiZig

Distinguished
well, sorry to hear that, under the information you've provided I have no reason to believe that the LCD panel itself is dead (since you said it came on spontaneously)

the inverter is assumed working since you replaced it

the data connection is assumed working since you replaced the ribbon

the only thing left is the power cable, but I assumed you checked that to be working while checking the inverter?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem

AntiZig

Distinguished

and your rationale for that is what exactly? (you being the owner of a private company?)

Hi :)

My rationale being...

I know what I am talking about as we repair hundreds of laptops a month...

And your is for questioning my expertise ?

All the best Brett :)

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
The only way to resolve the issues is if one of you guys send me an LCD screen thats compatible :)

I am in the search for an LCD screen 18.4" for £15-20

AntiZig

Distinguished

so your rationale still has nothing to do with the problem at hand, I can just as well claim to be bill gates and tell the OP to go buy a new laptop. Will I be wrong? No, because that will solve the problem without determining the cause of it as well, but stating something of the top of my head without bothering to explain my reasoning isn't helping anyone unless I fancy a lucky guess. I come to these forums to help people and also to learn, cause obviously enough I don't know everything there is in the IT. Nobody does. So, sorry for taking an offense to your post but it comes off as patronizing and condescending, while failing to explain how you came to your conclusion. "I know what I'm talking about" is not an explanation...

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I work for the second largest IT company in the world.. " fact"

I thought i knew the answer to my issue, spent money on new parts.. not the answer.

I still need an LCD and i am still unsure if this is going to work. MONEY PIT.

Well my customers pay me serious money for my advice...

Here I give it for free...

You are all adults, so you can decide whether you want to listen or not...

I was wrong once though...March 1971 , I think it was from memory...

AntiZig

Distinguished
Well my customers pay me serious money for my advice...

Here I give it for free...
How is that relevant to the topic at hand? should I feel bad that we are reading your advice for free? You can stop restating this useless piece of information about yourself, whether true or not, it has no relevance to the issue.
You are all adults, so you can decide whether you want to listen or not...
take it or leave it attitude, typical of people taking a guess and having nothing to backup their thinking (or also typical of old generation not wishing to share their knowledge in fear of being replaced by new generation, I've seen this in college, those professors weren't very helpful) . Although, you being an adult I expected you to be able to back up your statements, but I guess not.

I was wrong once though...March 1971 , I think it was from memory...
yeah cool, how is this relevant?

no offense, but if you cannot provide a rational explanation for your advice I wouldn't pay you a penny for it. If you cannot explain your thinking that means you're just taking a guess. Again, I'm not beating on your because I don't believe you're the owner of some company that repairs laptops, but for your attitude in providing the said advice

Ok, just for you I will make it simple....as you seem to need that....

I have READ ALL THE OPS POSTS...

I know what he has done so far...

Therefore... from my experience of fixing a LOT of laptops every month...

I know whats left to fix it...

Which I have already told him/her...

Simple enough for you ?

If he doesnt believe me, he can always take it into a lappy repair company like mine and get a quote for repair....which will obviously tell him precisely what needed....some companies (not ours) will quote for free...

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
**update**

I installed linux ubuntu restarted and my display came back on.
Restarted the display vanished.

---

Restarted and the screen was still blank.
inserted a linux cd and restarted again
screen came back on booted into windows 7

------------------------

This is very frustrating as its not the LCD.. its something more like an IRQ fault or bios issue. I have re-flashed the bios but that has not made any difference.

I am baffled. - The screen is currently working but i am afraid to turn off the laptop as it may not come back on again, primary OS Windows 7

What i think may be the issue

* bios
*graphics card bios.

Its got to be something that posts the signal to say * //display/0 *on.

HELP.