Microsoft: Hardcore Kinect Games in 18 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I can see this really kicking off if they manage to first get all the kiddy titles out just before xmas.

Plans would be to release kinext now, build a hype, then release all the xmas titles in time for xmas. This could be the wii killer.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Does he mean 18 months from now, or 18 months from the Kinect release date? Either way that's going to be around the first quarter of 2012, and it's not going to leave much time before the next generation consoles start picking up steam. Given these games will be targeting the "hardcore" crowd, it may be too late for the XBox360 Kinect strategy to really work for this demographic.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Boxa786[/nom]I can see this really kicking off if they manage to first get all the kiddy titles out just before xmas. Plans would be to release kinext now, build a hype, then release all the xmas titles in time for xmas. This could be the wii killer.[/citation]

Unless Microsoft manages to get hold of rights for Mario, the Wii will not be killed.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I didn't buy a wee because I don't want to move around while playing games. What makes you think I want to move around while playing your console, M$?

Please fail and move along.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I'm not the only one who thinks kinect is super lame. So stupid. I just don't get why Microsoft is praising it as if kinect is gonna be the next best gaming experience. I'm not gonna buy one until it proves itself as something other than casual.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]NEWS FLASH!This just in: You are not the only person on earth! Contrary to your beliefs, you are not the center of the universe. The world does not cease to function just because you don't see it fit to continue to function. Just because you will not buy something does not mean it's a failure or will be a failure. It will fail and move along if not enough people buy it, not because one movement averse individual refuses to purchase it.You may now continue with your self absorbed existance.[/citation]

He shares the same views as 90% of the current 360 owners. So umless ms hopes to double the ownership of the 360 this winter, and get about 10% of the totaal ownership to buy aa kinect it will be a total failure, not just a hard fail. I can't see more than maybe 100k kinects being sold purley because the adverage 360 ownerbeing the sole user, and also above the age of 10 plays a big role in this too.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
At least that means developers aren't abandoning traditional control schemes any time soon, at least for hardcore games. You should use motion controls where it makes sense, instead of trying to fudge motion controls in for EVERYTHING, like some Wii titles.

Augmenting a controller with voice commands and gestures might not be a bad idea though, for some titles. Especially if they're optional (you can still do it with the controller). I'd like it if I could choose the dialog options in ME by saying a brief phrase aloud, again, optional.

bangtime

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
what's the problem with kinect? i think it's pimp to control the xbox with jedi gestures and voice commands. I do a lot of netflix and watch a lot of movies from my computer via xbox with windows media player.

G

You mean they'll still be making new stuff for xbox 360 18 months from now? God consoles suck! They are the worst thing ever for the gaming industry... everything gets held back.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]He shares the same views as 90% of the current 360 owners. So umless ms hopes to double the ownership of the 360 this winter, and get about 10% of the totaal ownership to buy aa kinect it will be a total failure, not just a hard fail. I can't see more than maybe 100k kinects being sold purley because the adverage 360 ownerbeing the sole user, and also above the age of 10 plays a big role in this too.[/citation]

no, he shares his view with the hardcore crowd. the kind of gamers that post on websites like these. the casual gamers are a massive portion of the demographic. they simply dont come to websites to post their opinions.

if you dont want it, dont buy it. but something tells me it will be a runaway success for MS. Its not aimed at you, its aimed at the wii gamers who have outgrown the old hardware, and want something deeper. but who still are not 'hardcore' gamers.

G

Geez. It's really amazing to see so many haters. It's a new experience for crying out loud and YOU don't have to be interested in it...but maybe kids or your wife will. My wife is very interested to see what its going to bring. But then again she's the prime target for Wii fit and anything else that would family fun for the kids and her. She isn't interested in Kinect with a first person shooter. Oh, but wait...what if you could play civilization and move the avatars with your hands. Or a real time strategy game? Hmm...how about play chess with your friend while streaming video to each other of each other? How about a virtual light saber duel in your respective living rooms, while seeing avatars of each other superimposed or totally virtualized?
THINK a little deeper here and I bet you could all keep brainstorming some hot applications for this...I can think of at least 10 more.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Read between the lines: No new console for at least 18 months! 360 from 2005-2012 on the fantastic X1950 XT ATI card, yay for technology! Consoles are such a joke!

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
As usual MS ripping off the UK and EU.

Not charging what the product is sold for in the US but charging what they think people will pay :(

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I think the type of "hardcore" experience people expect is impossible with Kinect, unless they start releasing some type of add-on controllers for it similar to the PS3 motion thing.

You can't play non-casual games that require actual movement in a 3D space by standing in front of a camera. An analog stick is pretty much a necessity. I'm sure they could make it so you lean in a direction to move or something stupid, but it wouldn't be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.