Looking to buy a new laptop Max Budget:$1000

1337dedrea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
1. What is your budget?
$1000 absolute max, cheaper the better

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6 or larger

3. What screen resolution do you want?
The higher the better, but honestly whatever fits in my budget
I have seen most in the price range with 1366x768, 1600x900, and 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It needs to be more portable, and going to be carrying it around my campus.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'm usually near an outlet somewhere so battery life is not much of an issue, as long as it can last 2 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I plan on playing games, specifically SWTOR, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Dota2.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Programming, taking notes, gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 250gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Wherever the best deal is, as long as it is reputable.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? hopefully 2-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd is just fine

12. What country do you live in?
United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have been searching for the last couple days for the best laptop i can buy for gaming, and school work. I was looking at any of the lenovo 570y series on sale, HP Pavillion dv6 and dv7 series with the 2gb 7690m, there is also a sager with a 560m that is just under $1000 that should game quite well. I could live with playing them on medium very smoothly. Should I really put out the $1000 for the sager or is there another computer that will fit my gaming and school needs, or would one of the other mentioned computers suffice?

Sager = http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-clevo-p151hm1-p-2973.html
HP = http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/coupon-hp-pavilion-dv6t-16-inch-quad-edition-laptop/15717.aspx
Lenovo = http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-y570-best-deal-coupon/30685.aspx

Hello 1337dedrea;

Don't kid yourself. You're asking us about the 'best notebook for gaming' within your budget.
You've gone far beyond the requirement just for school work.
School work and media/entertainment needs are much much less in terms of requirements and cost.

By the time you add in a copy of Windows the Sager NP8130 will be over your budget limit. It's the best option of those listed with a chance to play those games smoothly at medium or higher settings with resolutions like 1920x1080.

1337dedrea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Thank you for not being helpful in any way, responding in a very condescending manor, and ignoring the true question that was "Should I really put out the $1000 for the sager or is there another computer that will fit my gaming and school needs, or would one of the other mentioned computers suffice?"

I don't have to worry about paying for a copy of windows 7 because I can get them free through my school.

I have been researching all of the graphics cards in those computers and found many cases that say either the 7690m is not good enough or that the lenovo version of the 555m is clocked low.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/640965-radeon-7690-geforce-550m.html

So to revise the question since it was written poorly at roughly 3am, would a HP dv6 or dv7 with the 7690m, or a Lenovo 570y with the 555m, be good enough to run the games mentioned above smoothly on medium settings? If either the HP or the Lenovo can do it, which would do it better? If neither can, is there a computer out there that is cheaper than the sager that could run the games on medium settings? Otherwise I will just buy the Sager.

affroman112

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I would go with the sager. The graphics card is by far the best of them. The HP I had was not built to very high standards. A lot of flexing and such. I have heard that sager has very good reliability. The GTX 560m should match performance of the desktop GTX 550, if you are looking for comparisons. Plus, when you install your own copy of windows you don't have to deal with bloatware installed by the manufacturer.