Samsung's Epic 4G Shows Up in FCC Filing

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Wait until November 15, and ye shall receive Verizon LTE in 30 markets, supposedly.

With that in mind, not sure why anyone will switch to Sprint for 4G now.

G

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Wait until November 15, and ye shall receive Verizon LTE in 30 markets, supposedly.With that in mind, not sure why anyone will switch to Sprint for 4G now.[/citation]

Because sprint offers an unlimited data plan?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]Because sprint offers an unlimited data plan?[/citation]
Is it better to have unlimited data on a soon to be 3G only network or a limited data plan on a 4G network backed by industry standard technology? Sprint has not announced any plans to switch to LTE. Every major hardware manufacturer that designs cell phone towers has backed LTE in favor of WiMAX and neither this phone or the EVO support LTE.

Besides, carriers with limited data plans have better voice service because it frees up a significant amount of spectrum for voice calls and there is absolutely nothing more important than being able to make phone calls over your carrier's network because wifi sucks.

G

samsung makes the most durable phones now, and has for a while... i am glad that hard work and good ideas and good execution are finally winning out... iphones and fads will soon be just a memory and we will all have durable, working phones.

marcusmurphy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Is it better to have unlimited data on a soon to be 3G only network or a limited data plan on a 4G network backed by industry standard technology? Sprint has not announced any plans to switch to LTE.[/citation]
I'm sorry but maybe you haven't heard that WiMax already serves 100 million people, and will finish its US rollout in 2011. Verizon will just be covering 100m people before the end of the year (in its all at once strategy) and won't finish LTE rollout until 2013. WiMax is here to stay, and plenty of companies support WiMax (which is more than just a 4g network). It isn't a competition, both LTE & WiMax will be around until the next generation of advancements is made. Stop being so closed minded.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
WiMAX will be upgraded to run just as fast as LTE in the future from what I understand. What's it matter anyway? I hear Sprint has plans to switch to LTE (which is not that hard apparently) if that ends up to be a better route.

Currently WiMAX is the better choice anyway since the technology already exists and has allowed Sprint to roll out their 4G network sooner. So what if it isn't "true" 4G, it is still a lot faster than current 3G.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Motorola, Cisco and Nokia to name a few have all announced plans to phase out WiMAX in favor of LTE. These three companies were the top hardware manufacturers for WiMAX towers and networking equipment. Even Clear has stated they are likely to switch to LTE instead of WiMAX and they are by far the biggest WiMAX service provider to consumers.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I would take unlimited 3G over capped 4G any day, in fact whichever carrier stays unlimited will have my business in 11 months and 3 weeks when my time with Verizon is up.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I recommend NOT buying a Samsung smartphone!!! I went through a lot of trouble with my Samsung smartphone, and just recently was able to upgrade it to an iphone4.

Many features of my Samsung Epix did not work. The GPS was the biggest problem, and is well known across the internet. Other problems- voice dialing didn't work, and the phone was extremely slow when browsing the 3G network. There was no support from Samsung for these issues, they just went onto other phones like the Jack and so forth. My phone came with WM6.1. Microsoft released WM6.5 a long time ago, but Samsung did not make it available for the Epix until a full 2 years after the phone came out.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I recommend NOT buying a Samsung smartphone!!! I went through a lot of trouble with my Samsung smartphone, and just recently was able to upgrade it to an iphone4.Many features of my Samsung Epix did not work. The GPS was the biggest problem, and is well known across the internet. Other problems- voice dialing didn't work, and the phone was extremely slow when browsing the 3G network. There was no support from Samsung for these issues, they just went onto other phones like the Jack and so forth. My phone came with WM6.1. Microsoft released WM6.5 a long time ago, but Samsung did not make it available for the Epix until a full 2 years after the phone came out.[/citation]
If it was a WM phone I don't believe for one second that the GPS problems were Samsung specific. Both my Samsung Blackjack II and my HTC Fuze phone had trouble getting a GPS signal with Telenav and Mapquest Navigator GPS software. Both pieces of software would consistently fail to get any GPS signal even when outside away from any buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS