Need help on buying gaming laptop

Senseipanda

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
1. What is your budget?
sub $1400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Small enough for travelling so 15.6" ?

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
5+ hours preferably

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I want to play Battlefield 3, SWTOR, GTA IV, Skyrim on medium or low and at around 60 fps.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mainly Gaming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500G to 1 TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Open to all sites.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years hopefully

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
blu-ray

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't prefer any brands yet.

13. What country do you live in?
Australia but moving to Europe.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

Not necessarily. AMD and Nvidia mobile GPU's are usually built around the MXM standard connector. So in that case they are actually somewhat similar when it comes to mobile GPU's for low-med-high end. AMD's mobile gpu's may actually be slightly weaker (at the very high end), but are actually a bit more efficient power-wise (at similar mobile gpu levels).

What's more important is the cooling systems in the laptops. For example - my gaming laptop has a 5870M, but it gets way too hot if I max out settings in certain games and auto shut downs. I've found out my GPU actually has nearly 0 coolering besides the core, and the internal fans "cooling" it.

Out of the 2 WR2 listed, I would go for the second choice, better GPU, higher resolution, and better CPU, and its only about 150$ difference.