F keys activate from typing. Please help!

Geckoo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi I have a new HP ProBook 4530s. (General specs: intel i7, 4 gb ram, toshiba hard drive, wind7 64 bit, ... yada, yada)
The computer seems to be running fine for the most part other then minor driver issues here and there that i've been able to fix through multiple google searching of issues.

My problem today is that when I type "oun" quickly into web browsers I get an HTML popup and when I type it into a Word document the Save options popup (similar to pressing ctrl+s). I'm not finding much on this issue and would appreciate any help possible. I'm not extremely computer savvy but I understand basic components.

Thanks in advance!

Geckoo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Just found out that typing "hou" quickly makes me goto Full Screen (which is a f11 command on my computer apparently). Soooo frustrating when you're trying to type I keep getting these glitches

Also, "oun" seems to be the same function as f12.

Telxon

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Geckoo, Did you ever find a solution to this? I have two HP 4530's with similar problems. A call to HP support suggested a BIOS update may fix it, but I'm skeptical.

Geckoo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

No i'm sorry I was unable to find a solution for this issue.

I went through a variety of diagnosis attempts with HP support. Probably the most frustrating event of my life. Anyways they had me update keyboard drivers and BIOS. They had me install a new keyboard. Then they had me wipe out my OS and reinstall it. Nothing worked. HP had me ship the laptop to them, but i didnt send it in a "timely enough manner" so they shipped it back. Then they were going to have me reship, however I ended up returning it to tigerdirect where i purchased it instead. If they couldnt fix the issue they would have had me resend it, this time it would be set at "priority" and after that if they couldnt fix it they would replace it. It was just too much trouble for a brand new laptop in my opinion!

I think it's a hard drive issue but i'm not positive. If you're going to try to diagnose the issue with HP support I would let them know the steps I had to take. Hopefully they'll let you just send it in for repairs. They pay for 1 day shipping both ways.

If you ever find out how to fix it please let me know!! Best of luck :)

saints

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I'm getting the same issue, but only when using the laptop keyboard directly. I usually work with a separate keyboard and have not encountered this issue on it. Haven't worked out why this happens though