Disc Activity Problem on a Toshiba Laptop

anzi

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello, I've bought a Laptop Toshiba L750 with the specs:

Win 7 64Bits
8 gb Ram (came with 4 but i've upgraded)
Graphic card : Nvidia GT 525M

And recently I noticed that when I'm playing or surfing on the web I have some issues in terms of lag. I've runned AVG to remove any virus, cleaned space on both of my drives, runned CCleaner and Advanced system care and it didn't improve anything.

But sometimes theres no lag which makes me think theres some problem on a configuration. Today I made a test on the Resource Monitor and came upon a problem (I think) in terms of disc activity: http://imgur.com/zS6ib

I was loading a game with no programs turned on like google chrome, teamspek or windows media players and saw that my disc was only reading at 1 mb per sec. With lots of spikes has you can see on the graph. Any chance that would be the problem?

Also I've reseted my graphic values to default on the nvidia control pannel. And is it possible that it may also have something to do with my power configurations?

Thank you. João Santos

meridius10

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I also have an L750. My problem is that the HDD is making a very mild activity noise at startup and intermittently, which takes a while to die down. This is after I ran a big KIS scan and chkdsk, so I need to look into this...

Have you tried removing some Toshiba services by looking at sysinfo.org and seeing what is safe to remove? By the way if you ever get the DVD Rom making funny clicking sounds try disabling the PC Health Monitor either through CCleaner or msconfig.

Another line you may wish to take is to remove as many startup items as possible in CCleaner (check sysinfo.org or another source first) - or do them one by one. It may also be an AVG issue and you could try temporarily disabling it and see what the results are. Of course, it is advisable to defrag as part of this test after running CCleaner.

I'm not sure this advice will have resolved the particular problem, but perhaps move your investigation in a different direction. I may try to run a live linux cd at some point to see what that brings up.

anzi

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Yeah, I also get the HDD sound but thats not really a big deal to me. About the fps drop what I do is unplug and plug has many times has necessary to make the fps drop disapear...i also just set to default the battery settings.