XPS 15 l502x i7 or XPS 15z i7

Morisss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi,

I'm a 3D animator and i uses Maya software often for modeling, animation and rendering. I also do movie editing so i need to run After effects, Premier and Photoshop all together. i have a good desktop PC but i want a strong laptop as well so i can work when i'm on the go or abroad.

I've decided to go with Dell, but i can't decide between these two laptops-

DELL XPS L502x :

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus
HD DISPLAY 15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs)
3G/4G MOBILE BROADBAND No Mobile Broad Band Selected
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3\
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 & Bluetooth 3.0
Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English

or-

DELL XPS 15z :

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2640M processor 2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 2GB graphics with Optimus
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz Memory
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 & Bluetooth 3.0
BATTERY OPTIONS 64 WHr 8-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
SOUND OPTIONS Waves Maxx Audio 3
HD DISPLAY Elemental Silver Aluminum 15.6" 300-nit FHD (1080P) WLED Display with Webcam
KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English
Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

There is no price issue, so its all about the most suitable performance for me.

I know the xps 15 has a better screen and better color contrast, and better speakers quality than the xps 15z.
on the other hand the xps 15z is lighter which is a good advantage, it has a lot more buttery life, and overall a very strong laptop for his size.. but has a heating issue witch concern me..

Can anyone help? :)

abhizok96

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi,
Moriss

I' m also a 3D Designer I use Autodesk 3DS Max and Vegas pro on my XPS15 (L502X) and I would recommend you to go with this one because its more powerful and Display is the best I have ever seen so crisp. the battery life is pretty decent if you turn down brightness and do some other power saving option which comes with laptop and about the size I dont think its that big if you compare to 15Z sure it would be lighter and looks pretty too.!
P.S The JBL speakers are the best speakers ever laptop had and if you would take Sound Blaster It would be even awesomer!! :)