Hey yalls! Need some info on an Alianware Area 51. :D

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hey all! In the process of getting an Alianware Area 51 M15x and would like to know how good of a gaming rig it is. I know its old and a laptop so its going to be less than a desktop but most of my knowlage is in Desktop rigs and not lappys. I have a desktop with basically the same specs and it plays all the games listed on maxx with a Dell 22in 1680x1050. (yeah its a low res but Im not a rich man. ;) (I know the lappy will not be as good as the destop cause its well, a laptop...) :ange:

Would like to play MW3 2 and 1 (would love to be on high...) :whistle:

Battlefield BC2

Dirt 2 and 3

Prostreet. (haha)

NFS WORLD

FSX and Wings of Prey

SO here are the specs,

AREA-51 M15X 15" WUXGA W/CAM SIL-RIP-PNT R1

CPEN,INTEL T9300 CPU,2500/800,6M,FCPGA6 SCREENED

ELPIDA 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 SO-DIMM 667MHZ Y9535

M15X PRIMARY 120WATT AC ADAPTER-ACCESS

M15X ODD SMARTBAY KIT-SILVER-PNT

M17X / M15X NVIDIA 9800M-GT2 512MB

SILVER BRACKET FOR MD2GTX, MD2GT2

SEAGATE 160GB 7200RPM FFS HDD REV3

8X DVD+/-RW NEC AD-7590A

INTEL PRO WIRELESS 4965 A/B/G DRAFT-N MINI-CARD

INTEL MOBILE INTEGRATED HIGH-DEFINITION AUDIO

Just hoping I could get lots of ppls ideas please. :) Thank you all in advance!

Like I said I know its not the laitest and greatest, but for $405 I dont think its to bad! :O Or is it??

Solution
You might want to hang out in one of the Alienware forums.
Chances of bumping in another owner around here are a lot less.

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Ahh I see.
The "GT2" is that the same as the "GT"?

You say "old" like its not that great in reality? I mean I know it came out it 08 (long time ago in g-card world) But is it decent?

Also "that level of performance" do you mean (compared to todays standards) low level- mid? I know from the link you posted prostreet, MW1 (and perhaps 2) will play on high to max settings but Idk about the others... Your expert advice/thoughts? Thanks for your time!

It's decent for $400. A 4yr old gaming laptop - you have to think it's on it's last legs if the seller was a moderately serious gamer.

You'd need to know the internal specs of the GT2 to know were it falls in the 9800 xxx lineup.
It might be anything from a lightly OC'd GTS to a cut down GT.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Ok well seller "said" he never gamed that much. But I really have no idea how much... I only game a few hrs on the weekend anyways...

Well I have looked all over Nvidia, wiki and other places but have never seen a GT2, only the GS, GT, GTS, GTX. (for the notebook line) all the 9800ms have 51.2GBS. Just different clocks ect... A little less than the desktop line... but its in a notebook...

I dont think the GPU will be limited by the CPU (above) will it? Or would I need to upgrade that?

Also, what is the max ammout of RAM could I put in it? will 800mhz work?

Sure; The seller is a little old lady who only played Sims2 on Sundays. ;)

4GB DDR2 667 RAM is plenty. I don't think a RAM upgrade would be worth the cost.

The CPU/GPU are a good match. And mostly, you don't want to sink any more money into a 4yr old laptop.

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Yeah I know right! ;) Ok, well, just for kicks what is the max ammout of ram? Will the mobo handle 800mhz?

Ok, good. yeah Ik. But its deff an upgrade from a Dell studio 15 1555. ;) Intel graphics! Rock on! ;)