Which of these laptops is the best one?

braian-k

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Hello, I've come here looking for some advices from experienced users about which of the following laptops is the best. I've been doing a deep research about the laptops I can get in my country (Argentina), according to budget, processor, brand, etc. So I will show you the last two laptops I'm going to decide between. When I say best, I mean the best overall capabilities, for I'm not going to give them a specific task such as gaming, designing, etc. The laptops I'm talking about are the following:

-Acer As5552-7803 (exactly the same specifications as in this page).
-HP Elitebook 8440p (exactly the same specifications as in this page).

Up to this point, as you can see, I have detailed information about the laptops, but my doubts come from the following points:

-Should I choose the Acer one only because it has a quad-core processor? I'm very sceptical here since I've read somewhere about Phenom II N970's low capabilities.
-Should I choose the HP one only because it's a better brand? (and I don't really know what this "better" is pointing out to, I've just heard this)
-Should I ignore some reviews I read about the bad hardware quality in the Acer laptop such as the reviews in the pages I show you and only take into account the positive reviews? Do you think the people who wrote the negative reviews have just been unlucky? Or is Acer really giving problems with their hardware?

Basically those are the doubts I have about these laptops, but I want you experts to compare them for me from your experienced point of view. I don't care the RAM and the HDD for I would replace them for 8gb of RAM and a SSD respectively. Well, if I continue to write I know I might only make this more confusing, so I really hope you can understand and help me. Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry for my English.

Solution
Hello braian-k;

Your English is fine.
And you were told right. Core i5-520m is, overall, better than the Phenom II X4 N970.
Did you realize the Elitebook 8440p has about double the battery life? 6.5hrs vs 3.5hrs.

AMD Phenom II X4 N970 review
Intel Core i5-520M review

Comparison of Mobile Processors (CPU Benchmarks)
Intel Core i5 520M is ranked #63
AMD Phenom II X4 N970 is ranked #92

In terms of ruggedness and reliability the business class Elitebook 8440p should have a convincing advantage over the consumer class Acer Aspire 5552.

braian-k

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Not sure if it's allowed to double post here, instead of comparing the laptops, can you compare these two processors for me? Thanks in advance!

Phenom II N970 quad-core
i5-520m

I'm told that the 520m might be better than the N970 even considering that this last one is quad-core. What do you think about it? Thanks in advance!

Hello braian-k;

Your English is fine.
And you were told right. Core i5-520m is, overall, better than the Phenom II X4 N970.
Did you realize the Elitebook 8440p has about double the battery life? 6.5hrs vs 3.5hrs.

AMD Phenom II X4 N970 review
Intel Core i5-520M review

Comparison of Mobile Processors (CPU Benchmarks)
Intel Core i5 520M is ranked #63
AMD Phenom II X4 N970 is ranked #92

In terms of ruggedness and reliability the business class Elitebook 8440p should have a convincing advantage over the consumer class Acer Aspire 5552.

Solution

braian-k

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

Hello WR2,

Thank you very much for your complete answer. And I had not yet realized about the battery life. Your answer was very useful to me, thanks again!