Hp 2000 notebook wifi issues

tomhp

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I have a new HP 2000 Notebook. It keeps dropping my wifi connection to the internet. I have two different PCs and they work fine. It appears from other internet threads that the HP 2000 has wifi problems. Are there any solutions to fix this HP issue?

kmtolson

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

i have the same exact laptop and the same issue. let me know if you figure anything out

tomhp

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I am attaching a link with many threads talking about our PC HP2000-350US with Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter problem:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home/Wireless-issues-on-HP2000-350US-with-Atheros-AR9485-802-11b-g-n/td-p/1003219

As you can see from the thread, it appears that there may be a design flaw which could be: "either a poorly written driver or this new Atheros "low- power" WiFi card has some kind of issue with it".

Hopefully they will get us a fix ASAP. It is very frustrating.

cvrvolunteers

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

------------------------------------
I had a similar problem and found a thread on HP that mentioned updating the driver. I have a RALINK RT5390 wifi card/adapter. I tried using Windows to do it and it could not find a newer driver. I ended up going to the RALINK site and asking their customer support. This is the link that they gave me. I downloaded the driver and so far I have had no dropped wifi connections this morning. Last night I was having them quite often. Hope this helps....the link for this particular driver is below. I would hope that if you have a different Wifi card/adapter that you could go to the manufacturer's site and do the same.

NOTE: If you update the RALINK driver only request the driver, do not select the option for the driver and wifi software. You don't need the software only the driver.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5000

yanonon

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
let me know if you figure anything out .
g.gif

KC 1978

Honorable
May 8, 2012

Yes! Yes! Yes! That totally worked for me!

I bought my HP 2000 with the same wireless card and had trouble with the connectivity right out of the box. I downloaded the driver you sent the link to and, voila! Oh man, it feels so good to have a normal computer again. Thanks for posting that fix!

KC

anonymous2013

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

The updated driver worked for my father-in-law's hp 2000. Thank you!

perry2013

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
the link http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_su [...] hp?sn=5000 sends you to a page telling you that the company has merged with, or has been renamed mediatech. The driver is hard to find because their new webpage does not load fast (I tried from three different computers). Dowloadimg the driver also takes forever. I think the page is hosted on some third-rate server with too little bandwidth.

Anyway I just finished downloading the 11mb file (took 5 minutes, and I'm using a cable modem), I'll let you know if it works

GerbilKor

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Unless you see something I don't, you can't actually download any of the drivers from that page anyway. I currently use the workaround explained here saulosilva.com and just run the script whenever the adapter stops working.

Devin Hughes

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Ok, so I had the same problem where, I could not connect to the internet wirelessly. I tried and tried all of the solutions posted here, then I started trying other things. finally I tried clicking the HP emblem at the bottom of the task bar. then I clicked HP recovery manager and I re-downloaded all he drivers that had to do with the connecting to the internet. you need the internet to do this so I didn't think it would work, however it got through the first driver fine, however that's the only one that finished re-downloading, I got frustrated and force shut down my computer. I left if sitting there for the next 10-12 hours opened it up and boom, It started to work. the driver that I completely downloaded was named: "HP wireless Button Driver for windows 8."

Kizzie804

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
[strike][/strike]

I just bought the same one last month and had the same issues. When I asked HP if this was a reported and repeated problem they lied and said no. But to be honest I believe they have driver issues. I can recommend to make sure the adapter card is securely connected. Other than that I would suggest getting an upgrade if it is still under warranty.

mbrusl

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

I just got off the phone with HP about the wifi problem and this east indian person told me that because my laptop was just a few days out of warrentee, I would have to buy a new warrentee costing me over 100 bucks, just to even diagnose and fix it for me. When all I wanted to do is get an updated driver. I asked about that, and the guy said it could be a conflict with my anti-virus software. I thought, what in the h*** does that have to do with my wireless dropping connections. So in the end, I no longer going to buy from HP, because they do not offer fixes to the general public for problems that they know about. I guess I will have to suffer along with everyone here, unless someone who has a known fix, to send the archive to me at http://www.spacequad.net. You can login and upload the file.

rjc75k

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I realize this is an old thread, but I too just bought an HP 2000 with Windows 8 and had the same problems with the WiFi connection. I tried all the various suggestions on this thread and others without solving the problem. Finally remembered I had a problem previously with pre-installed Norton Internet Security software. Uninstalled Norton on the new HP and no more WiFi problems. I think it has something to do with Norton's firewall. But I'm no computer expert by any means. Hope this helps someone else. Very aggravating.

toshmentation

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

Lukedwards

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
I know this is an old thread but I thought it might help some with the strange download/description page.

Driver Download: http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01-1_windowsDetail.php?sn=5000

There is no "Download" button to push. It seems that there's no place to download the driver. There is, right below where it says: "Attention: If you have any software technical issues, please contact: GSS_MTK_WCN_ACS@mediatek.com". Right below that is a place to submit your name and email address. It doesn't matter if it's your real name or email. Make one up if you want but as soon as you fill that out and click Submit it will start to download the driver. I've contacted them several times about this but they don't seem interested in making it more clear to people. Hope this helps someone.